Status
Not open for further replies.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I am very confused about this pump. An inexpensive alternative to the Vortech pumps would be a great find. However, just because this company throws around other manufacturers names does not mean it should be considered equal to the original manufacturers product. For instance, one of the best features of the Vortech pump is the fact that there is NO WIRE inside the tank. How can this WP-40 be considered an equivalent knock off when the entire concept is totally wrong? If you want to compare it to a less expensive Koralia, then fine that seems to be what it is equal to. IMO it is a cross between the Tunze Nanostream and the Koralia. Nothing like the Vortech at all.

Just my $.10 minus $.08
Russ

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am very confused about this pump. An inexpensive alternative to the Vortech pumps would be a great find. However, just because this company throws around other manufacturers names does not mean it should be considered equal to the original manufacturers product. For instance, one of the best features of the Vortech pump is the fact that there is NO WIRE inside the tank. How can this WP-40 be considered an equivalent knock off when the entire concept is totally wrong? If you want to compare it to a less expensive Koralia, then fine that seems to be what it is equal to. IMO it is a cross between the Tunze Nanostream and the Koralia. Nothing like the Vortech at all.

Just my $.10 minus $.08
Russ

Since I own (owned) both, I feel I would be better at comparing them then someone who hasn't.

It has the Tunze shape and is basically a Tunze clone, but even Tunze doesn't come with its own controller for the wave modes. That's a separate buy.

The W1 and Else mode easily compare to the short pulse and reef crest modes on the Vortech. They move water the same way. Actually the clone is more powerful, and doesn't make annoyingly loud sounds at 100%. If you feel that having a large mount and wire outside the tank is worth $350 more each pump than having a large mount and wire inside the tank, then the Vortechs are perfect for you.

I've run Koralia 1400's when I started this tank before I moved up to MP40s. These pumps are nothing like the less expensive Koralias at all. They move much more water, and the mount is much nicer. You can only program outlets to turn on/off to "make waves" with Koralias, as they are AC pumps, and these are DC. With DC, you get full speed control, and now apex, program, and wave control.

I'll go one step beyond. Its not equal to the Vortechs, its better, based on price and functionality alone. Once that reef angel connector is released (which will work on the apex too with a quick mod) and more modes are programmed, you push more water the exact same way, without needing extra $100 modules for reef controller compatibilty for 1/4th the price.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Funny thing is people will spend 200 on a 1in frag with a name but can pick that same piece up at a LFS for 20 bucks but complain when a solid,great customer service company puts out a product that has years of experience under its belt sells there product for 465. Buy this pump and the mod for it for 165 bucks,see what happens in 2 years when it breaks and you need a part for it and have to buy a new one :) have my vortechs 4 years now and when my wet side broke on one of them they sent me a brand new one for free

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Funny thing is people will spend 200 on a 1in frag with a name but can pick that same piece up at a LFS for 20 bucks but complain when a solid,great customer service company puts out a product that has years of experience under its belt sells there product for 465. Buy this pump and the mod for it for 165 bucks,see what happens in 2 years when it breaks and you need a part for it and have to buy a new one :) have my vortechs 4 years now and when my wet side broke on one of them they sent me a brand new one for free

Never thought I'd utter these words :rolleyes: but nicely said Duke ;)

Russ

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
on one hand, shouldn't assume something will break because of where its made or who it is made by.

i think the guy with the mustang reference is tryng to show that people with that kind of general mindset may tend to be wrong as in the case of die hard american car buffs.

Not all products made in china are good quality, but they have the ability and resources to make high quality generics.

it would help if anyone else can testify with success stories or more stories of electrocution.

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
marineland stealth heaters - made in italy
Ferraris and Lambos - made in italy

we should stop buying Italian made stuff because they can explode our tanks ;)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
on one hand, shouldn't assume something will break because of where its made or who it is made by.

Definitely not assuming anything will break because it is made somewhere other than the USA. What I am saying directly is that EVERYTHING has a possibility to break, even the $465 Vortech MP40wES....however, the Vortech is going to be replaced with 100% guaranteed, outstanding customer service. Will the knock-off pump be replaced? Or even repaired? Or will you even be able to contact the manufacturer? Or will you be able to even communicate with them due to a possible language barrier?

Russ

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

You just tried to undermine the Chinese product by saying it will break, and then followed up with "my wet side broke". Ironic.

The cost of a Vortech wet side just so happens to cost the same as one of these pumps, and you don't always get a free wet side. The wet sides are well known to need replacements by the 3 year mark.

Instead of passing judgement, try one. I saw no reason to keep my MP40s after installing these.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
You just tried to undermine the Chinese product by saying it will break, and then followed up with "my wet side broke". Ironic.

The cost of a Vortech wet side just so happens to cost the same as one of these pumps, and you don't always get a free wet side. The wet sides are well known to need replacements by the 3 year mark.

Instead of passing judgement, try one. I saw no reason to keep my MP40s after installing these.

Well i guess you just read one part of my post and not the whole thing. Thats ok . My point is the wet side broke and was sent a new one in 3 days for free. Thats called confidence in the product they put out. Try and get a part if something breaks on your new chinese pump. Things break YES. But lets see when your pumps breaks how much they will charge you for the replacement and how long it takes to get to your house. Oh and by the way my wet side broke and it was my fault

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
It is a review thread but there hasnt been enough time to review it. Whoever bought one of these pumps maybe you can call the company and tell them your pump broke and give tell us what they tell you. A time test is needed for these pumps before i even consider them. I dont have expendable money to be a test subject for any products thats why i usually buy a product that has been around awhile before i purchase. Buy once has been my M.O for a couple years now. Not going backwards in this hobby :)

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
EVERYTHING has a possibility to break, even the $465 Vortech MP40wES....however, the Vortech is going to be replaced with 100% guaranteed, outstanding customer service. Will the knock-off pump be replaced?

Of course Vortech will replace the part for free... they make so much profit that they can afford to....
If you'll pay me $100,000 for a brand new Hyundai, I'll send you a brand new transmission, for free ...whenever you need it!

At ~$100 a pump, you could replace it every 2 years and still be less than a Vortech/Tunze !

While I'm not happy about a wire in the tank, I presently have a wire and motor outside the tank, on both side panels...and the Vortechs can't be 'aimed' except straight ahead!

IMO , they seem worth a try.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Of course Vortech will replace the part for free... they make so much profit that they can afford to....
If you'll pay me $100,000 for a brand new Hyundai, I'll send you a brand new transmission, for free ...whenever you need it!

At ~$100 a pump, you could replace it every 2 years and still be less than a Vortech/Tunze !

While I'm not happy about a wire in the tank, I presently have a wire and motor outside the tank, on both side panels...and the Vortechs can't be 'aimed' except straight ahead!

IMO , they seem worth a try.

Actually the guy said it costs 165 to make it more like a vortech and if it breaks twice in a year or even 2 years i still got more use out of my vortech seeing i spent 420 on it 4 years ago

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Aa far as wires in the tank, we have heaters, return pumps, skimmer pumps, all with...wires in the tank...

These are DC pumps so from what i know of electronics, much lower voltage and safer than AC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: