Status
Not open for further replies.

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thought this was a product review thread, not a battle for Vortech v. Tunze v. new powerhead thread :scratchch

People become sore and try to justify spending 400% more money when something comes along and does the exact same thing for less. It happens every time.

I did a test on my own tank side by side in RC and showed the Evergrow LED unit putting out the same amount of PAR as the Radion Pro, with better color, and people wouldn't accept that either. "Oh it cant be better" "Oh but marketing and customer service... etc etc". Now those things can't be restocked quick enough, because people finally realized the performance is there for half the price (even less through a group buy).

Same thing applies here. Not once did I say MP40s were bad pumps, but immediately people chime in with "oh it cant be better" "Oh its gonna break and electrocute your tank", "Chinese junk", "Oh but marketing and customer service..." etc etc.

As a consumer, its up to you to make your own decisions about how you want to spend your money, and not be deceived by marketing or the "it costs more so its better" mindset. I'd take a great value over a nuanced premium anyday, and I don't buy $200 frags either. At the end of the day, these things just push water.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
People become sore and try to justify spending 400% more money when something comes along and does the exact same thing for less. It happens every time.

I did a test on my own tank side by side in RC and showed the Evergrow LED unit putting out the same amount of PAR as the Radion Pro, with better color, and people wouldn't accept that either. "Oh it cant be better" "Oh but marketing and customer service... etc etc". Now those things can't be restocked quick enough, because people finally realized the performance is there for half the price (even less through a group buy).

Same thing applies here. Not once did I say MP40s were bad pumps, but immediately people chime in with "oh it cant be better" "Oh its gonna break and electrocute your tank", "Chinese junk", "Oh but marketing and customer service..." etc etc.

As a consumer, its up to you to make your own decisions about how you want to spend your money, and not be deceived by marketing or the "it costs more so its better" mindset. I'd take a great value over a nuanced premium anyday, and I don't buy $200 frags either. At the end of the day, these things just push water.

A new knock-off product is introduced to this forum and the members are supposed to blindly accept it because it is 1/4th the price? No discussion or debate should be had? I think you're being a bit overzealous in your praise for something YOU might have tested for a few months. Questioning with valid reason is the prudent approach. Sorry if you can't see that.

Russ

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well i guess you just read one part of my post and not the whole thing. Thats ok . My point is the wet side broke and was sent a new one in 3 days for free. Thats called confidence in the product they put out. Try and get a part if something breaks on your new chinese pump. Things break YES. But lets see when your pumps breaks how much they will charge you for the replacement and how long it takes to get to your house. Oh and by the way my wet side broke and it was my fault

I read your post fully, and it still applies to all of it... yet I could say the same about the part where I said the wet sides are not always replaced for free, but I choose not to.

Took 5 days from China to my house. $20 shipping included in the total price. If a replacement part is pricey, the whole pump is only $100 anyway (coupon code "fishstreet" for 5% off). I've been running it for a few weeks and hacked them to bits, and have not had any issues. They have to be turned down even, because they are so powerful. They're even coming out with a smaller pump for half the price in the future, which would be killer in 40 breeders.

Anything else you'd like to know instead of making assumptions over and over?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0

The mind set of "Its cheap" Is whats ruining this country. Why is it so cheap? Because the chinese workers is getting paid pennies per hour to build it. They put no pride in there work and the materials are cheaper. People post on FB all the time of this poor little dog thats skinny and ribs showing and people get outraged by this. Lets put some pictures of the poor human beings that are in that country eating a slice of bread between 4 people even though he works 80 hours per week do we get the same response NOOO. As long as its cheap who cares right? Lets get those people American dollar minimum wage and see how the prices rise dramatically and watch the American businesses who do all there work in America become more successful because we wont buy that crap that breaks in a few months time we will want American products because they are 100% better then the chinese. So no i wont buy these pumps which with the track record of chinese made products are made cheap. I buy the best equipment i can for my setup which i will save for months to buy but i dont care because i know once i have it i have no worries for years to come. But i can bet that these pumps will not last as long as a vortech,they will be great for 6 months to a year and they will break. Happened before with Reef equipment made in China and it will happen again.Call the company tell them you had the pump for a month and it broke i would love to hear the response from them

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I've been running it for a few weeks and hacked them to bits, and have not had any issues.

I stand corrected. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in my previous post that you were testing this for a few months. In actuality you've only been testing this for a few weeks. And this is your claim of success? I digress. :rolleyes:

Might you have long term success? Of course. But to make such strong claims after a few weeks is awfully bold.

Russ

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
im pretty sure by the tone of duke62, that he is Chinese.
images

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A new knock-off product is introduced to this forum and the members are supposed to blindly accept it because it is 1/4th the price? No discussion or debate should be had? I think you're being a bit overzealous in your praise for something YOU might have tested for a few months. Questioning with valid reason is the prudent approach. Sorry if you can't see that.

Russ

Who said blindly accept it? There are plenty of reviews of us running them at RC, and I have no problems answering questions if it catches someones interest and want to know more.

I wanted to know about them too before I bought them, because I already had MP40s and was surprised at the reviews and the videos I was seeing, so I bought one and tried it. I really liked the results. Then I bought another once I learned I could get them controlled and synced with my Apex.

I personally think the possibilities with this thing makes it awesome. From looking at the internals and the microprocessor used, someone handy with an arduino can make their own controller for it. The pump uses a 5v analog signal for control, and runs at 12v-24v dc.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the vortech warranty? Did you get a replacement while in warranty? I mean I can 100 percent guarantee you won't get anything a month after expiration...do a search on RC, there are a ton ton of people selling mps with busted dry and wet sides....which is why they sell parts individually.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
OMG!!!!!

These programmable chinese pumps will take off, people will begin to buy them, give it 12 to 24 months.

What vendors and brick and mortar stores should be doing is testing these themselves and deciding if the should contact Jebo for distribution.

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The mind set of "Its cheap" Is whats ruining this country. Why is it so cheap? Because the chinese workers is getting paid pennies per hour to build it. They put no pride in there work and the materials are cheaper. People post on FB all the time of this poor little dog thats skinny and ribs showing and people get outraged by this. Lets put some pictures of the poor human beings that are in that country eating a slice of bread between 4 people even though he works 80 hours per week do we get the same response NOOO. As long as its cheap who cares right? Lets get those people American dollar minimum wage and see how the prices rise dramatically and watch the American businesses who do all there work in America become more successful because we wont buy that crap that breaks in a few months time we will want American products because they are 100% better then the chinese. So no i wont buy these pumps which with the track record of chinese made products are made cheap. I buy the best equipment i can for my setup which i will save for months to buy but i dont care because i know once i have it i have no worries for years to come. But i can bet that these pumps will not last as long as a vortech,they will be great for 6 months to a year and they will break. Happened before with Reef equipment made in China and it will happen again.Call the company tell them you had the pump for a month and it broke i would love to hear the response from them

Just for thought, do you have an iphone? You know where those are made and who builds them right?

I love the amount of hate and blind devotion to companies already here. It happened with the leds too. I thought it would take at least a page or two more. If these things were junk, I would have thrown it away by now and kept my Vortechs.

If you want to argue in capitalistic terms, it was this chinese company that came in and is now offering a product to a portion of the market that has long been ignored, the (I need something better than a Koralia but those Vortechs are absurdly expensive, even though I know they're good) market. I cringed when I broke down and paid the premium for two MP40s and a WXM module, but I knew it would be a good experience. If another company offers that experience for much less, I'm now supposed to defend a company and the premium they charge just because it is American? If anything, they may actually have to adjust pricing if these things take off, because having competition does that. A $350 MP40 suddenly becomes much more attractive. I believe they could easily do that, and still make way over 25% profit per pump sold.

Unless other people chime in that have actually HAD experiences with these, everything else is just conjecture and presumption.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I personally appreciate the OP sharing this information.

Don't let my current zip code fool you because I live in Newark does not mean I am cheap or low income, I simply dont believe in charging up credit cards for a darn hobby.

If I can get affordable equipment for this money pit of a hobby I welcome it AND SO SHOULD VENDORS AND STORES.

Making the hobby more affordable to consumers should and will equate to more sales.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
im pretty sure by the tone of duke62, that he is Chinese.
images

Ninja i think chinese people are some of the hardest working people in this world.But can you have pride in your work making 8 dollars per day 7 days a week? Chinese minimum wages are 175 dollars per month on a 7 day work week.No im not chinese I am a humanitarian. If a chinese company had a factory that paid there workers a fair pay scale i would probably look into there products. As for this pump i can honestly say i have no faith it will be a reliable pump just from there aquarium related track record

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Ninja i think chinese people are some of the hardest working people in this world.But can you have pride in your work making 8 dollars per day 7 days a week? Chinese minimum wages are 175 dollars per month on a 7 day work week.No im not chinese I am a humanitarian. If a chinese company had a factory that paid there workers a fair pay scale i would probably look into there products. As for this pump i can honestly say i have no faith it will be a reliable pump just from there aquarium related track record

Duke, your not chinese :sgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: