I like these (sweetlips clown):
sweetlips_clownfish2.jpg

Maybe pair with a nice bubble tip?

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I LOVE the flowing tentacles of an extremely healthy Gig or Mag coupled with two healthy clowns swimming in and around them... but I don't have the system for an anemone like that.

Pics of crazy-colored BTA's always have me suspicious, especially when they're for sale from online vendors. It's too easy to photoshop insane colors.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Depending on the species they have different requirements.

This is how i basically gauge it.

Do you have corals on your rock work and are you willing to lose them?

Do you have corals on your sand and willing to lose them?

Do you have any exposed pumps or powerheads with exposed grating(Tunze,Vortech,Koralia)

Then decide on the nem you want.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
It depends on the species

Some species are tolerant of less than perfect water conditions.

Some of the larger hosting anemones like mertens magnifica and haddoni and gigantea are much less forgiving.

The requirements for anemones go base on species they all do not require the same condtions. They are mostly all found in different portions of the reef.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Bubbletips are easier. Do you have any exposed pumps?

They need better then compact fluorescent lighting, moderate flow.

They walk so exposed pumps can be a hazard.

They are can handle less then perfect conditions but you should not put one in your tank till it is mature.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Yea technically they are, sweetlips are called "harlequin clown fish" they are not reef safe and can get 3 feet long. Not s good choice. I saw snowflakes are pretty awesome, like the [platinums and wyomings as well but some people don't like the white ones. It's really personal preference and just because you have a nem does not mean it will get hosted by your clowns. They will host anything mushy I have had clowns host duncans,frogspawn,hammers, torches, elegances even a long tentacle plate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: