Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I have a Melanurus, and have 2 huge snails. He tries to attack them every now and then, but they seem to get smart quick. they sleep during the day when hes out and wake up at night when he is sleeping..:sleeping:

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
so basically i had over 200 zoas, two different colonies, 1 eagle eyes and 1 radio active. one day i started noticing iwas lossing a couple a day and i had a couple of asterinas,and basically i bought a harlequin and it was eating them. but i kept seeing them going. so i let time go on and kept losing more. when i did my tank transfer i dipped what was left with the zoas, in water for 15 min and coral revive for 20 min. and now so far 2 months in i dont see anything and my zoas are growing ..

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
so basically i had over 200 zoas, two different colonies, 1 eagle eyes and 1 radio active. one day i started noticing iwas lossing a couple a day and i had a couple of asterinas,and basically i bought a harlequin and it was eating them. but i kept seeing them going. so i let time go on and kept losing more. when i did my tank transfer i dipped what was left with the zoas, in water for 15 min and coral revive for 20 min. and now so far 2 months in i dont see anything and my zoas are growing ..

what do you think was eating them? i have the same problem, every thing else is fine including sps.
thats 15 min in rodi first, then 20 min in coral revive?

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
zoa nudi's take the color of the zoa they are eating , the way to find them is blow strong puffs of water into the zoa's with a turkey baster. U will see them pop off and float away just suck em back up with the baster. If you cant FW dip.

If you really want to buy a wrasse for this type of thing. I highly recommend a "sea grass wrasse" blue zoo has them in stock and to be honest they don't come around to often.

The SGW is an awesome fish and so interactive and smart.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thanks everyone for your take, and once again I have seen that it is not zoa nudi, it is most definitely the amphipods. I have had a dragonet for the last 5-6 months, but he's a little guy. I will be getting a wrasse today for sure, either 6 line or melanurus what ever the store has. But like SethKim mentioned and what I have seen is that the pods come out at night.
Seth I am a little skeptical about copper dosing as I know little about it. What else would it kill and how to properly use it, can you please share?
As for the Amphipods here are few videos from youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kaq0T1gU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZleSPmtqw
Dipping the Zoas will only get rid of few that didnt have the time to run away. I used MediCoral by Brightwell and noticed that it doesnt kill them but rather stunts them, and they fall of, any suggestions on a replacement?
I think, like myself a lot of people do not really know the actually threat these pods pose. Now, Amphipods are officially on my Most Wanted List

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i those things running all over my zoos like roaches at night. i have been looking for months with a magnifying glass at night. never saw nudies, all i seen was amphipods, thought they were good guys. i will be getting a couple if wrasses on friday.

do mandarins eat amphipods? thanks for the info.

Flushtown Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 75%
9   3   0
Don't use copper.I don't understand why that was suggested, you'll kill off alot more than pods. My melanurus doesn't doesn't attack my cleanup crew at all. Even threw in an itty bitty cleaner shrimp the other day and he let the shrimp clean him up and he eats all the pods in my DT.. I guess like with all fish there's always that bad apple

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
wow I am Blown away!

Thanks for the video. I have a oranged back velvet wrasse I think its called . the wrasse in LIAndys Avatar above.

Super peaceful great color and pro pod destroyer.

thanks again for the video. do not put chemicals in your reef.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Wow! Those are serious amphipods! Soon you can get them a leash and go for a stroll.
Lol, I actually seen one that is pretty big and as soon as I shine some light on it, it disappears.
So, went to the store and got a Yellow Choris wrasse hopefully he has been starved. Will keep you guys posted. Any and all other suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: