Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
So, I have been building my collection of zoas and things were going well. I was getting really nice growth and pretty fast too. This made me more excited and frequent tank maintenance seemed like it was paying of. This was up until about a week ago, when I noticed two of my Armor of God colonies began to close up. I checked my chemistry and it was the same as before. Additionally I had about 10 more frags that came in also about the same time. Then I began to notice that some polyps began to close up or even disappear.
Today I finally found out what has been killing the zoas and my pocket, Amphipods! These mother F-ers got good taste too, they seem to be enjoying things like AOG, Bad Mamma Jamma, Red Hornets, Rastas etc. I seem to be somewhat relieved to at least now who is responsible for this heinous crime. Did some reading and found out that a reef safe wrasse should take care of the problem.
Can someone please recommend a wrasse? Thanks

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
Are you sure that it is an Amphipod eating your zoas. I have heard stories of people saying that they do, but I have tons of Amphipods BIG ONES in my fuge with a frag rack and zoas there doing fine.

Hopefully you don't have a nudi.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
There are better wrasses than the 6 line. Those lil buggers get nasty! I can't think of one right now but I'm sure someone will chime in with a better choice.
BTW, Are you sure it's amphipods? The reason I ask is, we all have amphipods in our tanks and I never heard of them eating coral. It could be zoa nudis, which I don't think wrasses eat. Either way, good luck getting rid of them

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I am pretty sure, I've been observing the tank like there is no tomorrow. And today I caught them in action. There are few youtube videos out there that actually shows an Amphipod taking down a zoa. Thanks guys I will definitely get a wrasse today.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
If you seen one there are many more your not seeing yet. When I had them in my tank I never caught them in the act of eating my zoas but all my zoas where disappearing and now that I got rid of those bastards my zoas are starting to come back.

SethKim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Copper = 100% failproof !!!

How are you Greg? sorry to hear your trouble,
amphipods are most active during night time no? I can't think of any fish that are nocturnal and go after those "pests". hmmm...
anyways good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: