FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Hey just got this sump. Anyone know how to use this type of return? Whats the valve for which kind of pump connects to plumbing this big? Thanks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1364189724.938479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364189724.938479.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 155
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
That needs to be replaced with proper plumbing. With that setup you'd have to drain the last sump section anytime you had to work on your supply pump.

1) what size tank?
2) what size bulkhead?
3) what do you plan on running off of your supply pump?

You need to give more info before anyone can help.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
At the minimum the union and valve need to be reversed. The idea of the union is to be able to remove the pump easily for maintenance or changes/upgrades- like it is if you remove it there is no shut off and all the water will pour out. If you put the valve first and then the union you could just close the valve. BUT it does have to be redone.

You could also plug the bulkhead fron the inside with a piece of pvc with a cap on it, but then why bother with the valve. Either way the person had a good idea with poor execution.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
That's not a true union ball valve. There's one union there and it's separate from the ball valve. It's solid fittings on each side of the valve. If it was a TUBV there would be another union on the other side AND the unions would both only have technically 1 half because the unions collars screw directly onto the ball valve's body.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
If you are going to keep the parts you would need to reverse the setup so the from the sump you have the valve and then the union. This would avoid draining the return section or a mess if and when you swap out or clean pump

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
That looks like a true union ball valve, quite repetitive.

From what it looks like you could re-use that stuff if you wanted to.

+1

TUBV and Union before is repetitive.

See image where disconnect on proper side of the valve exists. Unless this piece is glued into place, I see good reuse of the plumbing.

House

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1364189724.938479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364189724.938479.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 108

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
would have to be an external like gzr shows in his pics - be aware that the size and brand of the pump needs to match the plumbing or you'll need to make some small modifications to the plumbing. I'd steer away from the Reeflo brand unless you're planning to re-plumb and re-cut the sump- they have larger inlet/outlets

House

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
Yes it's a single union Jim. But as was stated it is NOT a TUBV. If we're going to tell someone what they have the absolute correct terms should be used.

Jimmy that absolute correct terms should be used. And I am the one who made a simple mistake by staying "It looks like a TUBV" I did not say that it was.

At the minimum the union and valve need to be reversed. The idea of the union is to be able to remove the pump easily for maintenance or changes/upgrades- like it is if you remove it there is no shut off and all the water will pour out. If you put the valve first and then the union you could just close the valve. BUT it does have to be redone.

You could also plug the bulkhead fron the inside with a piece of pvc with a cap on it, but then why bother with the valve. Either way the person had a good idea with poor execution.

Your comments were totally wrong here. The pump can very easibly be removed from that setup.

A way around the plumbing if you really want to. Since the pump that you get you want to line up almost perfectly so there is no undue pressure on the pumbling. You could convert to soft pipe for about a foot or so which will give you plenty of movement. The size of the pump really does not matter as long as the intake is not bigger than the pipe coming out of the sump. Just simply step down the pipe to the correct size. I am always a fan of having a bigger pipe out of the sump and step down at the pump.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I think im just gonna sell it. This is too much sump for me. Anyone interested? Im gonna post it in for sale latee today.

why would you sell it? if you have 1600 gph over flow, i think you need a good sized sump and pump to match that over flow.
dont let the plumbing discourage you. theirs plenty of help here.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
you need to redo the plumbing anyway. that union is not supposed to screw over the bulk head, that is a machine thread not pipe. it might leak like that.

Edd, I think it's glued in flush against the bulkhead and not screwed over the outside.

@JimmyR - you should consider teaching English at a catholic school as a next career (kidding man, lighten up) :)

Flyy, if you need help getting this to work for your system, let me know I'll gladly help.

house

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: