windingwater

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting an extra large size tank, between 500 to 800 gallons, maybe 1,000 gallons, in glass (don't like acrylic). Does anyone know who manufactures the best quality glass aquarium in extra large size?
I mean real manufacturer with physical location, not the ones doing business out of an Internet page with no physical address.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'd recommend acrylic at that size for many reasons, the chief reason being that acrylic is far more forgiving should anything happen. The odds of a catastrophic failure are much lower. Plus the logistics of moving an acrylic tank that size are far less involved due to the significant difference in weight.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I'd recommend acrylic at that size for many reasons...

+1...definitely acrylic, especially with large tanks! It's unfortunate that the people that advise again acrylic, have usually not owned one themselves! 2 of my acrylic tanks are over 20 yrs old and still look great. I've been able to sand and buff them, drill new holes, seal old holes, and I recently 'cut down' a 130g tank to make it a 90g tank. Try that with glass!
If you're really set on glass, you should check out 'hybrid' tanks, acrylic with starphire glass in front.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
+1...definitely acrylic, especially with large tanks! It's unfortunate that the people that advise again acrylic, have usually not owned one themselves! 2 of my acrylic tanks are over 20 yrs old and still look great. I've been able to sand and buff them, drill new holes, seal old holes, and i recently 'cut down' a 130g tank to make it a 90g tank. Try that with glass!
If you're really set on glass, you should check out 'hybrid' tanks, acrylic with starphire glass in front.

+1 Look into AGE I just got a quote for a large aquarium. 12' x 3' x 30" acrylic back and bottom and one side the other two starfire. Pm me for details.

Thane

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I don't know if I would buy a pre made glass tank larger than 300gallons. Sounds heavy to move around.

As for a acrylic tanks, I would never buy another acrylic reef display tank. I have owned acrylic tanks from 15 gallons to 180 gallons, and glass tanks from 5 gallons to 300 gallons. Probably total of 12 tanks in the last 15 years in the hobby. I also moved some of these tanks across the country so I know a thing or two of moving heavy tanks.

A hybrid tank from AGE sounds good, provided you are not planning on going cheap for the display tank.

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I recently 'cut down' a 130g tank to make it a 90g tank. Try that with glass!

I would just buy a new 90 glass tank.

I am not a pro tank builder and the possibility of having 90 gallons of water on my floor is way too stress for a hobby. I didn't even want to do that for a half full sump, went out and bought a use acrylic sump for my prior setup since the scratched up 180g acrylic tank was too long to fit under my 300 glass display.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I would just buy a new 90 glass tank.

I am not a pro tank builder and the possibility of having 90 gallons of water on my floor is way too stress for a hobby.

I already have a glass 90g RR sitting empty...(it's FS)... I now have a custom, 48x24x19h acrylic tank for $0 out of pocket...just the time it took to cut the tank with a circular saw!

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I don't know if I would buy a pre made glass tank larger than 300gallons. Sounds heavy to move around.

As for a acrylic tanks, I would never buy another acrylic reef display tank. I have owned acrylic tanks from 15 gallons to 180 gallons, and glass tanks from 5 gallons to 300 gallons. Probably total of 12 tanks in the last 15 years in the hobby. I also moved some of these tanks across the country so I know a thing or two of moving heavy tanks.

A hybrid tank from AGE sounds good, provided you are not planning on going cheap for the display tank.

No one should ever cheap out on the most important building block of our hobby. AGE is far from cheap however I can easily say most of us spend more on corals and loose them than they spend on there tanks. Go figure.... ;o)

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Also call the guys right in your backyard. Coast to Coast. I have witnessed there work and seen many end results which were as close to perfection as possible. Another member posted Miracles which make excellent exhibits as well. The only reason why I say C2C is that the shipping costs on a large tank is not cheap and they are in your State. You have some options now you need to pick up the phone and get some quotes. And please do not overlook the stand as well as your foundation where this massive weight will sit upon. Good luck and keep us posted

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
If you want to go with glass check out this NY aquarium manufacturer AquaVim in Maspeth. They do mostly large tanks and make their own glass thats harder than starphire glass and clearer than tempered glass. The high impact resistant glass they make for large tanks around 1000+ gallons is the same glass used in the Grand Canyon skywalk platform... bulletproof lol

http://www.aquavim.com/SV_rectangle.htm check out the rectangle up to 12,000G and super custom

windingwater

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acylic tank is lighter, but considering I don't move often and when I have to move, it would just take a few more people for a few minutes. And once it's installed, a glass tank full of water is about the same weight as an acylic tank full of water. Therefore, I still prefer glass as it gives me less worry about the scratches.
My friend's 500+ gallon acrylic tank exploded after use of less than 10 years. He suspected the plastic get more fragile along its age, and could not take the impact from his gigantic, frightened cat fish he kept for more than 15 years.
Any referral of a reputable glass tank manufacturer who makes 500 to 1,000 gallon tank and provides decent warranty will be appreciated.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Glass scratches too, and low iron glass tanks scratch very easy. The big thing is with an acrylic tank you can easily buff out the scratches and then you have a brand new tank. As for yellowing, I've had my two big acrylic tanks for about 15 years and they're still clear, no yellowing , discolor or hazing. Maybe on the real old acrylic tanks they yellow, probably from the material that they used at the time, but that shouldn't be the case when buying one now.

Now the amount of water in a glass and acrylic tank may weight the same but you'll find that an acrylic tank is lot lighter than a glass tank, and depending on the size of the tank that could be hundreds of pounds lighter.

As for breaking, there probably is a better chance of the silicone going on a glass tank then a seam opening on an acrylic tank. Also, if an acrylic tank starts to leak you can easily repair it and have the tank back in use in no time.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: