nycfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have a 90 and 30 as a sump, I'm using a 8" fan shooting to the vho & metal halide, is it really bad for the coral and fish?

What's the cheapest cooler? Does it use any of electricity?

underworld@hvrk

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
well first I would post what you have in your tank that you feel may be affected by the heat. In all honesty I do not think that is too high of a temp. some keep there tanks that temp on a daily basis and have tanks that thrive. for instance if you look at reefvideos.com showcase #4
reefer Marte menesis' seahorse/ricordia tank thats what his temp is at all day and the sump is also plumbed to a mixed reef and sps frag tank and they are all that temp. Also keep in mind that natural reefs yes are dying/bleaching from the heat but reports say the temps of the water surpass 90degrees for days,weeks on end so a day or two at 85 is ok Imo

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Last year, in this heat, my chiller would be on 24/7!!! Since I changed out all my big pressure pumps for more efficient ones, heat has not been an issue. My tank is at 80F right now and my room temp is 85 :) I'm about to turn the AC on though :D

If your temps break 86 I would shut everything down anything that adds extra heat that isn't absolutely necessary (ie skimmer pump, extra powerheads)

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
i have a chiller and my tank still went to 85 yesterday, yhank god for my reefkeeper2 which automatically turns off my hailides.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: