Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
At this point, i am seriously thinking of calling it quits..... An unfortunate emergency kept me away for little over a month, during this time, my sister was left with the task of watching over my tank.... Two days before my return, i got a call that my tank was not looking too good and that my anemone which split 4 times during the course of my absence were now situated near my corals and that they were showing signs of bleaching.... As a temporary fix, i made her place some small powerheads in the tank with the hope that they become uncomfortabale and move to a better location..... Just got back and at first glance I can tell that I got more than an anemone issue.... Almost total destruction..... 90% of SPS dead, LPS and softies are stressed out to the max. pH at 7.54, salinity 1.030 and algae all over.... Protein skimmer off, reactor off, and dosing containers are empty...... I am about to do a water change and run some other tests on the system. dont know how this will turn out but i will just take it one day at a time..... Just needed to vent

Last edited:

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Lights just came on
7c8aa9b5c5912dda9b6119f7257db85d_zpsc6f1dd29.jpg

029abc76a7caeb8be29ab3469e554ac4_zps2697961e.jpg

cdcd9e3e006e52cd4ed260d97d1f73a2_zpsa30a96e3.jpg

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
No better place to vent brother. I hear what u r saying. And im sorry u r going thru this. And even tho is a very frustrating time for u is light at the end of the tunnel. Lots of people including me have overcome this kind of problems. It wasnt easy n i bet it will not be easy but u definitely will. But we r here to hear u and help u. Keep us updated and good luck.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Sorry, to hear. We sometimes forget how much stuff we know and juggle effortlessly to keep our systems going. Non-hobbyist caretakers just don't have that level of understanding. By the looks of it, many of the corals will rebound if you stabilize the system, though much of the sps looks like toast :( Good luck. We've all been there at one time or another.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Hang in there kid. You'll bounce back. It's hard to trust anyone to watch a tank. Tried trusting my brother to keep an eye on my tank for 4 days. Of course he lied and said he checked on things. I had a backup person to check on things. I was lucky. Good luck. Let me know if you need anything. I know it's a hike from where you're at but, I you want to take the ride I'll hook you up with a pack of frags. Lmk.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Im pretty sure we all been there, Ive been in the game for almost 10 yrs and during that tme I lost thousands. To me its not the money, its the dying of live stock. I am right now a monster tank that required an addition to my house, and a basement dedicated to a mechanical wet room fully automated

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear your sad news. Not being home for a month you can expect something to go wrong. Being gone that long you have to have someone experience looking over your tank. So don't be to hard on yourself. Their is no hobby like this hobby. We don't realize have much we rely on daily maintenance. Do some small water changes and slowly bringing back your levels. Good luck.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
keep you head up man, just think, now you can make any changes that you wanted or needed to do to the system. Do you have a controller? they can email you when things like this happens early on. my Apex saved my *** a few times. good luck

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Hey sorry to hear that but think of it as a natural disaster. The reef in nature is constantly in ebb and flo, destruction and rebuilding. You have the opportunity to remake the reef, to correct the problems that you otherwise couldn't or wouldn't. Try grafting some stuff to skeletons and exploring the opportunities. Finally, get a reef buddy or two. This way you wont have to trust the "ohhhhhhh you got a Nemo" crowd to care for your reef. I think that any reefer here or near to you would come over every so often to help you out so long as you had a family member there. Barring that treat yourself to the latest and greatest controller with wifi uplink to your phone /computer and a digital remote camera this way you can call the relative and tell them what your reef needs.

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
One day later and things are slowly coming back to normal...... My SPS garden understandably took the hardest hit but it could have been worst......thanks for all the support and I am going to take all you guys advice and improve on the entire system, inside and out.... If there is any major change in the upcoming weeks, I will post some more pictures.....

jbeanz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow that sucks man, I was on YouTube I searched 120 g and your build came up. I've been watching it during my down time at work over the last 2 days. You've put in some work don't give up man. Your tank has become a motivation, My tank is the same size and I hope to begin the build this fall. In one of the videos you mentioned your local forum and you shouted out steelo a couple times so.I figured you would be on MR.

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Wow that sucks man, I was on YouTube I searched 120 g and your build came up. I've been watching it during my down time at work over the last 2 days. You've put in some work don't give up man. Your tank has become a motivation, My tank is the same size and I hope to begin the build this fall. In one of the videos you mentioned your local forum and you shouted out steelo a couple times so.I figured you would be on MR.
Hey jbeanz thanks for the support.... I am glad that my youtube channel inspires or motivates you in some way....I have came to the realization that accidents can and will happen. So I won't make this hiccup come between me and the hobby....Good luck on your build, looking forward to viewing it

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hey bud,

My nephew threw play dough in my tank about 2 months ago when i felt my tank was finaly on its track... 85% of my acros bleached and i was also feeling dissapointed. Did wc, kept things stable and watched the corals bounce back. Today all corals are 100 percent back and some pieces gained better colors than before believe it or not.
At first i felt like tossing the bleached pieces and getting new ones to start all new. Today, after i got them all back, not only i feel great about the money saved, but also happy to have them all like before.

Here is a pic of the purple stylo and in the back a green slimer day after the disaster. Days after this pic, things actually got worse, and they peeled out their polyps and lost even more color. Sorry my pics arent good..

Here at about a month after,colors catching up again

And here is today, pic seems blue and dark bc i added another blue+ bulb to my fixture, but i think you can see how the color is back to dense and polyps out

Dont give up!! It will all be back!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: