masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ezee,
When did you know your rocks were cured? I tested my water and the Ph is no higher than 7.4 (that is as low as my test kit goes).

My refractometor reading is 1.000 so I guess the salt has for the most part dissolved.

Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have no salt in your water. A refractometer reading of 1.000 is freshwater. Salt, when dissolved, should read between 1.024 - 1.0265 (NSW) for a reef tank. A fish only you can get away with 1.019.

When evaporation takes place, the salt remains behind and the salinity will increase even higher. That's one of the reasons automatic topoffs are so valuable. They will help to keep your SG stable.

As for knowing when your LR is fully cured.....When you first put the LR into your system or curing vats, the ammonia should spike (off the chart). As the bacteria colonies establish themselves, the ammonia levels come down to zero and your nitrites will spike (off the charts too). Once again, as these bacteria colonies take form, the nitrites will drop down to zero and your nitrates will spike. When your nitrates start coming down (won't reach zero) then your cycle is complete.

Most importantly Dave, I hope you haven't been 'curing' your LR in freshwater. That is a critical component to check IMMEDIATELY. If the LR has been in freshwater for more than a few hours, I'd say it is no longer LR.

swimmer

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Psycho,

It took my rock about 5 weeks to stop messing with the PH. You must do the water changes frequently, every other day 100% (or whenever the ph spikes) and keep a powerhead in there. How much are you putting in?

E

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Psycho,

How much are you putting in?

E
How much rock in the tank? Or water in the curing tub? The rock is the amount in the pic posted previously, I have'nt weighed it. Water in the curing tub, about 30 gallons. I change it once a week, This is the first time the PH has'nt gone off the chart immediately. It is also the first time for there to be no salt evident in the water. I have been curing it for about 4 weeks give or take a couple of days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: