inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Darn,
I was going to have him do my Easter Island Statues.

Attachments

• ANCIENT EASTER ISLAND PAGAN STATUES on CANVAS.jpg
    ANCIENT EASTER ISLAND PAGAN STATUES on CANVAS.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 266

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Hey,

Why not just make your own? It is pretty easy. Here are a couple of pretty stylized ones I made. The face rock is covered with coralline and looks great now. They were a little less porous but I wanted them a little stronger.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12324&stc=1&d=1157680802

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12325&stc=1&d=1157680802

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12326&stc=1&d=1157680802

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12327&stc=1&d=1157680802
E

Attachments

• Face Rock 1.jpg
    Face Rock 1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Face Rock 2.jpg
    Face Rock 2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Mushroom Rock 1.jpg
    Mushroom Rock 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Mushroom Rock 2.jpg
    Mushroom Rock 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
TimberTDI,

Sure.

The Ingredients
portland cement (1 part)
aragonite sand (2-3 parts)
crushed coral or crushed oyster shell (1-2 parts)

The Tools
Rubber gloves
Mixing container
Extra sand (preferably arag but not necessary)
Rubbermaid for sand mold, drying and curing

The Mix
I did not use any crushed coral or oyster shell in those two pieces but it enhances porousness in exchange for strength. You will need to experiment with the ratios in order to get what you want but it should only take a few tries with a small amount (more cc and it will be porous but prone to fall apart/too much cement less porous but very strong). Then you can multiply the receipe to match the amount of rock you want to create.

The Mold
You can use extra sand as your mold. Pour it into a rubbermaid, dampen and scoop out shapes you want to create. Then pour your mixture in. Don't be afraid to glove up and use your hands to conform the mix to the mold.

The Drying/Curing
Let the piece stay in the wet sand for 24 hours, remove it from the sand and let it air out. After it dries cure it in FW for about 4 weeks and do a 100% wc every week.

The Pros
You can create your own liverock VERY inexpensively and in just the shapes and sizes you want. If you use the right materials it will be very porous and will provide a lot of surface area for filtration and PH balance.

The Cons
You need an area to work and there is a learning curve of about a couple of hours. Finally, you will have to cure it for some time before adding to your tank.

This process is best for "just the piece that your tank needs" or creating something really different like space invaders or stonehenge.

E

Last edited:

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Another recipe, for DIY Base Rock.
Not my recipe, but it seems to work. It's so simple, it's hard to believe it works. Portland Cement and Rock salt. I had a hard time finding large bags of salt this time of year, I did find large bags of Water Softener Salt at Wallmart. 1 part cement to 4 parts of salt.

Dump the cement into a 5 gallon bucket and slowly add water, you want a thick mixture. Once it is thoroughly mixed, add the salt and mix some more. Once it is thoroughly mixed, I dumped a handful onto a plastic garbage bag and allow to dry. To make the tall rock I added more on top when I made my 2nd batch. There are many ways to make "molds" for diferent shapes. these rocks have flat bottoms, Im going to try making a batch then turn them over after they dry and add to then to make more rounded shapes. I also will be making some where I will be smoothing them with my hands to be smooth for growing my Zoa frags onto. Once it dries, you need to cure it to be safe for use in your tank by soaking it in tubs. You need to do this to dissolve the salt and to leach out what is in the cement that raises the Ph, from what I understand this will take about 6-8 weeks. I have been changing the water in the tub every 2 days. I do believe a Power Head or airstones in the tank would help speed up the process. Once the ph drops to an acceptable amount, you are read to use it. If needed I can take pics the next batch I make. My next batch will be caves and arches.
P1010010Medium.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: