Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is coraline algae? I hear that it is good and everything but most of the pics of peoples tanks I see, I dont see any? is it something you want in your tank, should you try and get it? cause my tank at work has tons of it and I want to know whats with it?

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its at a 55 reef I take care of at work, there's tons of it all over the rock and back of the glass, the tangs eat it. I took a big piece and placed it in my 2.5 nano and its growing well. Its purple/red. But a lot of established tanks I see don't have any so I thought it wasn't good to have.

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some times is it simply out competed for nutrients, OR the spores and strain (species of coraline as ther is about 14)are not spreading due
to a lack in ionic/ Alkalinity ballance. I have had my 37 gallon go without Coraline for about 3 years. What little bit was there was there, but I changed sea salts (BIO SEA / Tropic Marin mix)and using ESV B-IONIC and had a drastic reaction in coraline growth. THe corals are also doing well.
Some coraline does NOT like a lot of light as isthe case with a lot of the dark Purple coraline from Fiji. Try getting a few pieces of well established Live rock and do some scrapings, chances are you will have coraline soon.

HTH

PS: if ya are really hard up. I have it growing out my ears and could send ya some.

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dave, but I have tons of it in the 55 (pics of 55 in pic gallery) I just wanted to know if it was good or not and why so much was growing. But thnx for tha info. I have two yellow tangs and they pick at it as well as the hair algae on the powerhead.

P

Pedro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the tang appears to be eating it, but in fact, it's just trying to eat the algea off it. It's the same for halimeda, since it's a calcerous algea.

Back on topic, just provide high Alk and Calcium levels, with adequate light and the corralline will take off. It's that simple. HTH

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Toe,

The purple algea you have growing onthe rock in the store is not the common coralaine algea that everyone is talking about. This calcerous algea will grow just about everywhere but will grow in circles on the glass of your tank. It is usually light pink/purple-ish and sometimes green - I have some green growing on my tank at home as well as a ton of the pink /purple - and none on the new tank :-(

Some of the enw rock you got in had some on it, I wouldtake that rock and put a piece in your 55 and scrape the algea off and start the spores going - like Dave said, though, it competes for nutrients (and calcium) and you will need to dose calcium if you want to stimulate it's growth.

I am using Kent Marine's Turbo calcium and it works wonders. I have some older tropic marin calcium I can bring to you this MOnday when I get back to the office.

I'll speak to you soon.

Later on!

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: