Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I purchased a green leather coral from Petco :) a few days ago and noticed that my tank now has flatworms. Ive read posts about these "pests" but what harm do they really do? I have the Marice Inver. book (pocket experts guide) and it says they are pests but when it says foods & feeding: Detritus or algae feeders. Nothing wrong with them eating that

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
In large enough numbers, flatworms can cover a coral preventing light from reaching the coral, in essence...starving it. Many reefers also find them unsightly :dead1:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
yes they are bad ,,i would get some flat work exit ,do a treatment as directed ,have crabon ready to put in your tnk after the flat worm exit and fresh salt water so yu can do a water change

Note try to siphon out as many flat worms beffore treating ,also make sure you ahve a net ready to catch any dead floating flat worms

Remember thy are toxin to yur tank when thy die ,so have a net ready to catch any that are floating

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
so they are only bad when there are too many and because they cover the corals. Because I dont see them on the corals just the rocks and glass. I take them out when I do water changes (everyweek) besides that they dont look that bad. They look yellow with a red dot on them, as long as they dont eat my corals and release toxins I think I may keep them in. I do weekly water changes because the tank is only 3.2 gallons. thanx for the info guys

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
lol its not that serious, yall have to understand I do weekly water changes anyway and when I do that I suck a bunch out so its not like I'm keepin them there so they can make :inlove: and reproduce without me :dead1: some of them. I wont treat the tank with any meds tho and they arent on my corals as of yet. Thanx for the info. if it get too bad I'll bring in the :tank: and wipe them out. The book says they do :eat: algae. I guess next you guys are going to tell me to get rid of my bristleworms:lol_large I LUV you guys !!!

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Actually, there are usually many more hiding then the ones you see and are able to siphon.

Even if they eat algae, you 'trading' one reef scourge for another.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Note to self: Do NOT under any circumstance accept any frags from qckwzrd.

With that being said, you'll find that there aren't many, if any, reefers that will want to do any swapping with you, knowing you're plagued with FW's.

I say plagued because like Dean said, if you see a few, multiply that times at least 100 to account for the ones you don't see.

Good luck with them.

BTW, the title of your thread is"
question2.gif
are flat wroms really bad? ".
If everybody that is responding to your question is of the same opinion, then why did you ask in the first place?

swimmer

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Note to self: Do NOT under any circumstance accept any frags from qckwzrd.

With that being said, you'll find that there aren't many, if any, reefers that will want to do any swapping with you, knowing you're plagued with FW's.

I say plagued because like Dean said, if you see a few, multiply that times at least 100 to account for the ones you don't see.

Good luck with them.

BTW, the title of your thread is"
question2.gif
are flat wroms really bad? ".
If everybody that is responding to your question is of the same opinion, then why did you ask in the first place?

swimmer

I posted it in QUESTION because I wrote it in a question form and I didnt know why they were called pests. I was asking to get info because the book that I read didnt say they do any harm to your tank. Deanos stated to me what they do prevent corals from getting light I never knew that because they arent on my corals. You guys are taking this wayyy too serious..relax. Solbby they look like the second pic.

People call alot of the animals we keep in our tanks or set-up tanks for "pests" (mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp, bristle worms, corals ect.) If you know what you have and understand them then you can manage them. If I see my corals aren't doing well and find out its because of the worms then I will get rid of the worms. And my reason for posting this question was to learn about what I have and to also find out the experiences you guys have had with flat worms.And from what you guys are telling me they dont release any toxins so there is no immediate dangers. I do appreciate all the info you guys are giving me and I thank you...I truly do, but please dont let this post get you upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: