d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
For the record I am not blind nor biased. I have found two sellers on Reef2Reef that were recommended to me that sale reasonably but the site is a haven for sharks.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
You are asking a loaded question which will only lead to endless debates, financial, ethical, moral, etc, etc, etc.

Short answer: The likely hood of Mark, Bill, Warren, Carlos, Amancio, Larry, David, Lee or Steve buying that frag are slim.

That frag will likely be purchased by a normal person with a credit card.

Long Answer: Way too long but I leave you with this in the Arab Peninsula there is a reef keeper wealthy in oil money that sanctioned a private jet to go to London to pickup an Impeller for his reef. His Country suffers from immense poverty, is it morally responsible to spend tens of thousands to fly in an impeller when the minute you step out of your castle you have to walk over starving human beings?

The end of this discussion for me, I am out.

Yes but if someone has 2000 why is he a fool to buy it ?

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You are asking a loaded question which will only lead to endless debates, financial, ethical, moral, etc, etc, etc.

Short answer: The likely hood of Mark, Bill, Warren, Carlos, Amancio, Larry, David, Lee or Steve buying that frag are slim.

That frag will likely be purchased by a normal person with a credit card.

Long Answer: Way too long but I leave you with this in the Arab Peninsula there is a reef keeper wealthy in oil money that sanctioned a private jet to go to London to pickup an Impeller for his reef. His Country suffers from immense poverty, is it morally responsible to spend tens of thousands to fly in an impeller when the minute you step out of your castle you have to walk over starving human beings?

The end of this discussion for me, I am out.

Pretty hypothetical, but we dont the person who bought this frag. Still we are all assuming the he is a fool to spend that kind of money.

We see 500 dollar for an eye of chalice everyday. Reef raft just raised the bar a little.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
It is too much because we are normal people making normal wage. For some 2000 is nothing. Just like 30 thousand dollar peppermint angel a 2000 dollar frag.

Jae you sold a mushroom for 450 on R2R, whats the difference. The way I see it all corals are expensive and Reef Raft serves a niche market. It like a Bugatti dealer of corals.

I know these frags dont hold color and come in at microscopic sizes. But a collector does not care about price. He wants a collection. Also some vendors buy from him too to flip it later.

I do not care how people spend their money. Yes 2000 for a coral is too much. I will not buy it, but if I had 10 million sitting in brokerage account I would have bought it.

Money is relative, if you don't have it even a 450 dollar mushroom is expensive.

Correction I sold a shroom for 650 shipped but thats what the person was willing to buy it for. I actually lost money on that deal because i payed 650 pickedup from jfox for it. Theres no secret I like eye candy and have dropped 1k on a zoa before that melted it was my choice to do so. Im not rich by any means but even I think 2k for a .5" frag is a bit ridiculous and to top it off u cant even get shipping included. I have sold alot but most of the time I sell for less than what I payed for it. I see you currently bought a suprise box from Sexy Corals and imo you were lucly that the guy on r2r posted that thread about his experience with his suprise box. Putting you in a perfect position to make Mike have no choice but to make good on your box so that he dosent look like an A-hole.

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Correction I sold a shroom for 650 shipped but thats what the person was willing to buy it for. I actually lost money on that deal because i payed 650 pickedup from jfox for it. Theres no secret I like eye candy and have dropped 1k on a zoa before that melted it was my choice to do so. Im not rich by any means but even I think 2k for a .5" frag is a bit ridiculous and to top it off u cant even get shipping included. I have sold alot but most of the time I sell for less than what I payed for it. I see you currently bought a suprise box from Sexy Corals and imo you were lucly that the guy on r2r posted that thread about his experience with his suprise box. Putting you in a perfect position to make Mike have no choice but to make good on your box so that he dosent look like an A-hole.

Correct and many people warned me about Mike. The thing is I had to take that chance. It was a 1000 dollar gamble. I wanted lineaged SC pieces and that was the only way. I had never dealt with Mike and I gave him a chance.

I have been burned before but this is my play money. So I am never hurting if the dealer burns me. I just move on to the next one.

Socal619

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

More money more problems... haha. My buddy Cornel who is the high end sps guru in San Diego even laughed at that acro. He was buddies with Tony and now they don't talk, Idk what happened yet but Cornel would grow out and sell his high end back to Tony. I know another person who got screwed I mean disappointed on a sexy box as well but it wasn't wysiwyg so he didn't want to say anything. If you can sell a coral for more then you paid more power to you but at the end of the day I can sleep at night knowing I hook people up and have good reefing karma :)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Bottom line anyone over spending on anything is afool if you have the money or not. Corals , shoes, sneakers,hand bags it's all foolish. And if your into religion it's part of the 7 deadly sins. It's a coral that's it. There are gems everywhere and the thieves that know they can get away with it are disgusting. The guy bought that coral from a wholesaler probably for 100 bucks and does a disgusting thing and marks it up 1000 %. He didn't make the coral he didn't even grow it out. Just horrible people in this hobby and a bunch of money hungry pigs.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I wasn't going to chime in but you know how many people view their frags here as investments. They figure that even a $20 frag will grow out the will sell or trade it when it does and make their money back and or expand their collection. My guess is that whoever buys this is looking at it in the same light.

I have been into raising and breeding many different species of animals and this happens all the time with rare species or color morphs. Eventually the price will go down but as stated before it is about supply and demand. Guaranteed there is more than two frags but by limiting it they can gauge demand.

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Bottom line anyone over spending on anything is afool if you have the money or not. Corals , shoes, sneakers,hand bags it's all foolish. And if your into religion it's part of the 7 deadly sins. It's a coral that's it. There are gems everywhere and the thieves that know they can get away with it are disgusting. The guy bought that coral from a wholesaler probably for 100 bucks and does a disgusting thing and marks it up 1000 %. He didn't make the coral he didn't even grow it out. Just horrible people in this hobby and a bunch of money hungry pigs.

Reef Raft is the wholesaler. Reef Raft Canada is one of the largest importers. It is where Mike at Sexy Coral got the flashbomb/Abom/dynamite chalices. They opened Reef Raft USA a little over a year ago if I remember with Mike. They are cherry picking what comes in. Problem is most of their new releases are wild so you never know what they will do once added to an aquarium.

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
that guy is no more than a hoax. that 2k frag just resembles one of my complimentary frag from cultivatedreef during acclimation. unfortunately i didnt take a pic. this is how it looks now--you can see the red polyps--in RR picture the polyps were even retreated and reddish coralites and green hint base

IMG_5794_zps752cbdd6.jpg

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Reef Raft is the wholesaler. Reef Raft Canada is one of the largest importers. It is where Mike at Sexy Coral got the flashbomb/Abom/dynamite chalices. They opened Reef Raft USA a little over a year ago if I remember with Mike. They are cherry picking what comes in. Problem is most of their new releases are wild so you never know what they will do once added to an aquarium.

I worked in Canada for a while and RR Canada sure had--at least during the 4 years when I was in Ottawa, quite bad credits and reputation

they operate in a way that they have some preferred clientele and sold corals only to them. one of a lfs in ottawa--very reputable and had their dt featured on reefbuilder-- tried to buy from them but was ignored. if you are a walk in customers, you then wont have nothing from disappointment. however another lfs in ottawa--very nice owner--has intensive connections to australia and indonesia market. so I can have similar or just the same frags/colonies there with 1/10 of what RR asks for

Socal619

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I just spent a G on a shroom bro, I'm a sinner! That's just society bro, name brand stuff costs money, I have name brand rims I paid 3gs for everything too. Being a holy roller how come your judging others bro?

Socal619

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Reef raft USA is not affiliated with Asia or Canada. It's just some guy trying to capitalize on the reef raft logo and not being in the USA. The only one that imports corals from legit reef raft is Benny z and Raymond guiterraz or two guys corals.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
When people defend their behavior of spending this type of money on livestock kinda reminds me the way hoarders or people with substance abuse problems try to rationalize their behavior. I feel disturbed myself when I buy something for 50 dollars andi have a little extra money to spend on myself each month. And it's funny we'll know reef keepers,the wholesaler all laugh at the people that would drop this amount on a coral. The person who buys it thinks he is the man and people around him laugh at him LOL

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: