ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I went to Monroe today and picked up a sweet deal on a 120g and stand (thanks fastuno) and now we have a display and a breeding tank. Gonna clean the tanks and put them in the school tomorrow and then hopefully over the next week we will plumb it with the help of cmantis and Imorphine and anyone else that can help.
I will be going around to collect the pieces from everyone who agreed to donate and we will be putting up a thread to follow the tank build as it happens!!! Thanks everyone has participated and for all those who we are going to have help in the future.

ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So today's project is getting some more wood to reinforce the stand and stain/polyurethane it so it matches and can have a chance against saltwater then cleaning and moving the tanks into the school. Anyone have an extra set of megaflow kits for a 120g or know where I can get/make them?
And what I should use to get old coralline algae off the tank? I was thinking just scrape it out and wash with a hose, but I am open to suggestions.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So today's project is getting some more wood to reinforce the stand and stain/polyurethane it so it matches and can have a chance against saltwater then cleaning and moving the tanks into the school. Anyone have an extra set of megaflow kits for a 120g or know where I can get/make them?
And what I should use to get old coralline algae off the tank? I was thinking just scrape it out and wash with a hose, but I am open to suggestions.

Try a an old credit card or razor blade

ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So the measurements of the wood I had cut to add to the stand were exactly an inch off [sigh] back to Home Depot for a new piece of plywood to cut. Rookie mistake I forgot to account for the tank trim which adds 1 inch to each side.
Anyhow I took the opportunity to clean the tank it's drying out now. Most of the coralline came off some of it that grew on the overflow refused to come off even with a razor blade which was weird, will that effect anything or will it help the cycle?

ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update : tank is clean stand is waiting for the plywood to dry the live rock (courtesy of STHILL) is sitting in a tub with an old Korellia staying live.
Chiller is sitting next to the empty tank.
Hopefully by the end of next week everything will be moved to the school building and we can work on getting it set up.
Do we need a sump as a base for all the return pumps to sit in?
We are getting an ARID reactor and we have the 55 gallon RR to use as a breeder tank/ frag grow out and of course the chiller needs to bet some flow. I was thinking maybe we can have all the equipment running off of one return, is that possible?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
It is possible to use one return pump but it would have to be pretty big and you just build a manifold. As for a sump you need it at least for the water to drain into and back up as well as the chiller.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I'm confused..you have a 120 and a 55 and now you are looking for a sump..you are setting up 2 tanks? Wouldn't it make sense to set up the 120 as a display and use the 55 as the sump? it's a good size and makes the most sense. 20 gal would be way too small anyway, you want a sump at least half the tank volume and 55 is close enough.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: