vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Very interesting product, this kind of pumps will finish the dead spots behind the rocks, is narrow and will fit everywhere, push water in very wide mode, just like reef, i think will be the future pumps, the way works, make great water move.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Price a little more than I expected. 3 different models with the 50w @ $299 (~5000gph) model available first, and the 35w to follow. No ETA on the 70w...

Update: Not sure if $299 is for the 50w model. Various vendors are indicating $299 for the 35w model. But a recent (hour ago) email I got from Coralvue said it'll be the 50w model for under $300.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5p1V8s1H67E

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i was ready to order one ($ 300) but....first said Aug. then....sept.......Now .....Coming Soon - est. October of 2014 :smash:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The magnet can go in the overflow....not the pump. You meant that right? The pump can be horizontal or vertical. It's a pretty cool system for sure. You could do more than one but I dont think its needed.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I received my Beta Gyre pump last week and played around with it on my FOWLR as I waited to rescape the reef.

Well, I just hooked up the Gyre pump to my 8' x 24" x 24" 240g. SPS dominated reef system and I'm super impressed with the results. The system has been run for years on 5 MP40's -- 1 on each end and 3 placed along the back wall. The tank ( unfortunately) has 2 large overflow boxes about 6" from each end forcing me to move the Gyre futher toward the front glass than I would ideally like. I placed it horizontally about 4" from the surface and shut off all the Vortechs leaving only the rather meager return pump on.

As I ramped up the flow, it was obvious that the pattern created was very different and the first thing I noticed was that the fish began bobbing in the open water column in a very natural looking way.
Surface water ripples were seen all the way across the 8' span, but I would say that adequate current was really only seen up to about 6' , but this included all the way to the back wall in between the overflow boxes which was very impressive. I then turned on the MP40 at the opposite end and the combination of the two is most excellent. I also turned on 1 of the back wall MP40's as well because of a few dead spots due to the way my rock work is placed and I can say for sure the flow in my system has never been better.

Because of the way my rockwork is designed around the overflow and the coral growth on the Vortech end, it would be difficult to place a 2nd Gyre without totally blasting some corals. If not for this, it is apparent that 2 Gyre pumps would easily replace 4 Vortechs and possibly all 5. As it stands, it looks like I'll be able to remove 3 and go with the Gyre and 2 MP 40's.

I think I have the most basic possible controller as it seems I can only turn the flow up or down, so I can't commemt on pulsing patterns etc.

I'll work on a video when I get the chance. but suffice it to say, I am very pleased and impressed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: