xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a 90 gallon tank and I have spoke with Tim at Tim's Aquatics who was very helpful. I am looking for a 90 gal with dual overflows on the back wall of the tank with starfire glass. I am trying to find other companies that make there aquariums with starfire glass. I only see 1 company miraclesaquariums that uses it. What do you guys reccommend? Should I go with Eurobracing? Starfie glass? Dual overflows? I want to upgrade my 55 gal reef. I have a sump and MH that will work with the 90. I am just contemplating on the best way to go. Best vendors that can supply these tanks. I looked at Reefcages but they don't have starfire glass. Thanks

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The first question would be how much cash do you have to spend on this project? Miracles is not cheap, but amazing. Glass cages is cheap but acceptable and not amazing.

A90g tank is not very big. I would not recommend dual overflows in there nor is it needed. The minimum for dual should be 120g. Same dimensions just deeper front to back.

Starphire is a good thing. Once you have seen it you will hate the regular glass. But its also not cheap. Glass cages uses low iron glass. Starphire is a brand name of a company called PPG. Miracles uses PPG glass. You can also go to www.aquariumobsessed.com They sell ready starphire tanks in packages and they ship. They use PPG strphire also. Good quality starphire has just a very very slight blue tint. Blue is better than green any day.

As for the overflow - look up Calfo overflow. Calireef just made a cube thread. Check it out. That would be the ideal overflow cause there are no obstructions in the tank. Otherwise go with a single overflow. Go with 1" drain and a 3/4 inch return. Otherwise the box will be too big for a 90g.

Decide on a budget then size then starphire then overflows. Then we can get into details.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I got SCREWED by glass cages. I ordered a tank and they didn't bother to build it.

There's a company around Philly- Ocean Images Aquariums
http://www.oceanimage.net/

CJDevito just got a cube tank from them. He likes the tank.

I'd definately go with starfire, and eurobracing. if you can get rid of the center brace in the tank, why not!

B

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you have the funds I would go with 125 gallon tank. 55 and 90 gallons at least to me is not much. And I havent really seen duals on a 90 gallon like was stated. If you really want to upgrade and get better bang for your buck go for a 125. The footprint of the 125 is bigger the viewing pain is also significantly larger. with a 90 gallon the dimensions are pretty close to the 55 gallon. depending on what you get.

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with a 90 nothing bigger since the spot it is going in is perfect. 48X18X24 Thanks for the advice about a single overflow being enough, I do not see any photos when I search for the Calfo overflows I found 1 but it looks like a closed loop. As far as budget I am not looking for anything crazy I am pricing around to see proce ranges. Who else uses Stafire or similar glass? Thanksfor all the help

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Build your own! Get the Starphire glass from Paradise glass in Broklyn (I did).
If you live near the city I could help you if you want....it's pretty easy!
tank.jpg

Last edited:

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Its a 112 gal 3 sided Starphire glass
36"x24"x30"high using 1/2" thick machine polished edges- Cost w/tax + delivery to Manhattan for the 3 pieces ....$479.16 (delivery was $50) the bottom and back pieces were cheap- less than $200 cut,
polished ,and drilled for overflow.

heres another pic showing the euro bracing... the overflow was not quite finished in the pic.
almost-done.jpg

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
36"x24"x30"high using 1/2" thick machine polished edges- Cost w/tax + delivery to Manhattan for the 3 pieces ....$479.16 (delivery was $50) the bottom and back pieces were cheap- less than $200 cut,

heres another pic showing the euro bracing... the overflow was not quite finished in the pic.
almost-done.jpg

Now that's a nice piece of equipment - nice job

House

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice!!! Wonderful job- Thats a good idea to build it yourself but I wanted to see what prices safire glass tanks go for. Is there something comparable to safire glass? I know thisglass is fairly new. I am just curious and exploring all options Thanks

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0

almost-done.jpg

So the tank cost you over $700 in material?

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So the tank cost you over $700 in material?
750 with silicon, gutterguard, and Misc. pieces........YES.
Cheaper than having it made and shipped to me....but I was not trying to save money- I just wanted to build my own tank- the way I wanted it!
Check this out- http://www.aquariumsforyou.com/detail.aspx?ID=171
According to their calculator- I saved a bundle! :shhh: (i'm sure there a cheaper places)
But when I look at my tank, I now get the added satisfaction of knowing I made the "Whole Thing" myself and get a warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction! :tongue1:

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful tank but I am trying to save some money. I see an average 90 gal center overflow is roughly $250. Tim is going to check Oceanic for me and I also have 2 other members looking into prices for me also. I found 1 vendor in LI. I will def keep everyone posted on prices. I noticed Safire seems extremely pricey and I am looking for inexpensive pricing. I will let everyone know what quotes I get I am extremely curious about other types of glass that is comparable to Safire.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: