gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:sigh: Why are you getting defensive? We are simply continuing the discussion you started. Noone said you are wrong.

Hey, I never get defensive; I'm just mentioning my personal experiences
and understanding with Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium.

I?ve seen 180 gallon reef tank that only had a 1? inch to 2inch sand bed and about 70% of the bottom base rock touching the sand bed was thick with BLACK SLIMMY crap that reeked of rotten eggs. Their tank was a total loss.

Noone is entitled to his opinion of facts as he sees them; I?m only going by my past experiences.

Yes, if you want to get technical, Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium does give off gasses and it?s the gasses that can be toxic, but I did not want to get down to the tenth degree.

I do feel that Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium can get into the water column and spread in your aquarium.

I hope no hobbyist ever experiences the terrible Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium!

gettanked

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
There is no such thing as a "Hygrogen Sulfide Bacterium". Bacteria can produce Hydrogen sulfide as a by product of metabolism.

I know this sounds like a small point but important IMO.

BTW I was agreeing with you, however, hydrogen sulfide isn't copper/or snake venom. A certain amount (alot) needs to be present to cause coral death.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
gettanked said:
Yes, if you want to get technical, Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium does give off gasses and it’s the gasses that can be toxic, but I did not want to get down to the tenth degree.
:lol2: we're all compulsive, obsessed reefers. What did you expect, :D :tongue1: .

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Wouldn't the bacteria that produces Hydrogen sulfide die upon exposure to oxygen present in the water column? :scratch:
Yes! however, not all would/could die, since anaerobic bacteria can travel intermittedly through an aerobic environment in search of an anaerobic niche. But if it doesn't find that niche quickly, it will die from oxygen exposure.

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey…..the point is whether or not it’s a small amount or a large amount of Hydrogen Sulfide Bacteria, why give it a chance to incubate and spread in your enclosed ecosystem.

Glad to see everyone has taken an interest in this thread!

I hope I made you think alittle.

gettanked

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
:letitallo stop calling it bacteria. ur going to confuse newbs that this is a bacteria that can kill corals. hydrogen sulfide is a gas produce as an end product of anaerobic bacteria. just like when u fart. if this gas can build up to lethal levels in a reef tank there will be a major dieoff.but in a well establised sand bed with sufficient amounts of microfauna will allow the GAS to float up and out of our tanks. when ur sand bed does not nave an efficient cleanup crew and microfauna to sift the sand around it can allow this gas to build up to toxic levels. i understand what u are trying to point out and thank u for the necessary info as now i will remove my magnet cleaner after everytime i use it . u have made a very good point but it not BACTERIA!! lol. please dont refrain from spreading to word on these issues. as who know hypethetically if someone had a nano tank and a magnet cleaner on their tank all the time maybe there would be enough hydrogen sulfide to cause die off in a small tank as the parameters in small tank flunctuate alot more than bigger tank Who Knows? but thanks to u now we do. Thanks and keep them coming

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone else's Crank Yanker radar going off??

Hey, I never get defensive; I'm just mentioning my personal experiences
and understanding with Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium.

[SIZE=+0]There is no such thing as a "Hygrogen Sulfide Bacterium". Bacteria can produce Hydrogen sulfide as a by product of metabolism.[/SIZE]

Hey?..the point is whether or not it?s a small amount or a large amount of Hydrogen Sulfide Bacteria, why give it a chance to incubate and spread in your enclosed ecosystem.

:letitallo stop calling it bacteria. ur going to confuse newbs that this is a bacteria that can kill corals. hydrogen sulfide is a gas produce as an end product of anaerobic bacteria. just like when u fart.

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you need an anaerobic area for hydrogen sulfide to be produced? I've encountered hydrogen sulfide at the bottom of deep sand beds but under an algae magnet? Just doesn't seem possible to me. What kind of cleaning magnet and does it have a thick pad? The algae free magnets only use a velcro-type pad on the scrubber side so there isn't really an anaerobic area.

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you need an anaerobic area for hydrogen sulfide to be produced? I've encountered hydrogen sulfide at the bottom of deep sand beds but under an algae magnet? Just doesn't seem possible to me. What kind of cleaning magnet and does it have a thick pad? The algae free magnets only use a velcro-type pad on the scrubber side so there isn't really an anaerobic area.

Let?s see, if the interior of your glass has a film of any type, like a green color or a brown color or what ever color that you have on the interior of your glass and you use what ever magnet that you have and clean your glass many times over and you don?t clean the scrub pad to the interior magnet and the magnet doesn?t get removed off of the interior glass, over time you will end up with a build-up. When the magnet sits with out use for a period of time, days or weeks. That build-up that is sandwiched between the scrub pad and the interior of the glass will start to break down from lack of enough oxygen. Thus a problem can accrue, the dreaded undesirable bacteria, which causes the nasty FARTS. LOL

gettaked

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
and another thing about when u said something about base rock and black sludge under it. thats detrius and bacteria that accumilate because of low water flow or just not good tank husbandry. that "black sludge" is not hydrogen sulfide bacterium anyway so dont confuse urself. and if 70% of their base rock was covering the sand bed thats not a smart move. whoever that was shouldnt have a reef tank . the base rock should not be covering 70% of the live sand. it created an extreme anerobic condition and caused hydrogen sulfide to build up to the point that it was the only major gas in the sytem causing the sytem to crash. i mean come one how bout we put them in a closed off chamber and had a tube leading to my butt while i ate texas burritos and lettin off. do u think u would survive very long in that room. what gettanked is saying is true it can occur even between the velcro layer of the magnet cleaner and the glass. but IMO i dont think it will be enough to wipe out a reef tank that has good husbandry. STOP SAYING ITS A DREADED BACTERIA. Its good bacteria that create this Dreaded Gas. not the other way around. anyway gettanked this process of hydrogen sulfide occurs in all of our tanks. which is a good thing but can be bad if the tank isnt properly cared for. i personally see hydrogen sulfide between my tank and layer of sand. as the sand is moved the gas floats to the top and goes into our atmosphere. This process has to occur otherwise the whole nitrification process would not occur and that would mean noone could keep reef tanks.
eck27.gif
eck28.gif
eck05.gif
eck13.gif
www_MyEmoticons_com__fart.gif
fart.gif

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
BTW, not just anaerobic bacteria can produce hydrogen sulfide. Facultative anaerobic bacteria, can do so also under ananerobic conditions. Facultative anaerobic bacteria are present through out our tanks in the oxygenated regions as biofilms, and perform the nitrogen cycle, i.e. Pseudomonas species.

Definition:
A facultative anaerobic organism is an organism usually a bacterium, that makes ATP by aerobic respiration if oxygen is present but is also capable of switching to fermentation.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: