gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for those of you that keep your glass cleaning magnet hanging on the aquarium glass all the time.

A couple of weeks ago, I was servicing one of my maintenance client, and he keeps two sets of floating magnets attached to his aquarium glass all the time.
When I removed one of the magnets out of the water to clean the exterior cover of the magnet, I smelled an odor that smelled like rotten eggs (Hydrogen Sulfide).

Hydrogen Sulfide can be lethal to many marine organisms.

So keep your scrubbing pad clean to your inside cleaning magnet.

gettanked

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR, buy a magnet that us encased in plastic (my pirhanna) and never worry about it again - well, never say never, but you get my point.

House

You?re missing the point!

It's the water trapped between the scrubbing pad of the magnet and the glass is where the Hydrogen Sulfide grows.

I do not know of anyone that uses a cleaning magnet that is not encased, if they do the magnet will rust over time.

gettanked

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Some of the cheaper magnet cleaners I have seen are not completely water tight, the magnets will rust over time.

I have algae magnets permanently in my tanks ever since I been in the hobby, never noticed any smell when I use it every other day. I am not sure the .1 oz of water trapped in between could turn into sulfur since there is water flow in the tank and the area is not closed off to oxygen.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I believe it could happen. I have had all sorts of critters/dendritus get between the velcro (?) on the inner magnet. Since there isn't much local flow inside the space between the glass and magnet inside the tank, you could get a microaerophilic environment, not completely anaerobic, but limiting in O2 enough for hydrogen sulfide production by bacteria.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
you could get a microaerophilic environment, not completely anaerobic, but limiting in O2 enough for hydrogen sulfide production by bacteria.

Shaun, I also agree it could happen. But how long, before that process begins? That's what I was asking gettanked.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyumpa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you clean the glass on 2 or more side allowing the magnet almost to free float on the inside as you move the outerpart from the front to side that will elimate the problem even if the problem was not a problem.
most people have been using this method for years without any real cause for concern...what gives ???

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Mine are in the water all the time and I never take it out. I don't doubt this can happen though. I had water sitting in a section of PVC and when I went to clean it out my apartment smelled like low tide.

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was it between maintenances? Anyone routinely cleaning their glass with the magnet, will prevent the water from stagnating and possibly creating Hydrogen Sulfide.

Question:
How long was it between maintenances?

Answer:
I only work on his tank twice a month.

This thread is to info that it?s possible that Hydrogen Sulfide can and will grow between the scrubbing pad of the magnet and the glass of the aquarium, sooner or later.

gettanked

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the cheaper magnet cleaners I have seen are not completely water tight, the magnets will rust over time.

I have algae magnets permanently in my tanks ever since I been in the hobby, never noticed any smell when I use it every other day. I am not sure the .1 oz of water trapped in between could turn into sulfur since there is water flow in the tank and the area is not closed off to oxygen.

How often have you removed your magnet out of the water?

Remove the magnet out of the tank once in awhile to smell if you have the scent of rotten eggs.

I rather be safe then sorry.

gettanked

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
How often have you removed your magnet out of the water?

Remove the magnet out of the tank once in awhile to smell if you have the scent of rotten eggs.

I rather be safe then sorry.

gettanked

When I need to get the sand out thats trapped in there, which is not very often. Never smelled anything, I am pretty sure water will get in there everytime you move the magnet.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
When I place Nori in my tank I use magnets to hold it in place. After all the Nori is eaten some is still left trapped under the magnets. If I leave it there it will start to smell in about 1 week. So if you're cleaning the glass, and the algae cakes up under the magnet, it could start to smell over time if you don't clean it.

This has happened to me and didn't cause any problems in the tank and it was just a very small amount.

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that the amount of hydrogen sulfide produced is negligible.

The whole point to this thread is to make fellow hobbyist aware of Hydrogen Sulfide.

No one actually knows when Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium can get to a lethal level, that?s why I call it a ticking time bomb.

Hydrogen Sulfide is a very bad bacterium, who wants to play Russian roulette with it?

I?ve seen tanks that have been wiped out by Hydrogen Sulfide, one way or another.

Once any bad bacterium gets a foot hold, it can multiply very quickly and BAM! Your tank crashes and you don?t even know what hit you.

Hydrogen Sulfide shouldn?t be taken lightly.

An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure!

Again this thread was meant to inform.

gettanked

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
:sigh: Why are you getting defensive? We are simply continuing the discussion you started. Noone said you are wrong.

Hydrogen sulfide is a gas produced by bacteria under certain conditions present in a reef tank. It cannot reproduce on its own. When produced in large amounts as an end result of a failing deep sand bed, reef inhabitants are definitely put at risk. However, several of the above posters seem to indicate from their experience, the amounts produced by a magnet cleaner are not enough to endanger a reef.

Readers of this thread will learn several things:
  • How hydrogen sulfide is produced
  • How a cleaning magnet can contribute to that production
  • The effects of the gas on marine life
  • Cleaning your glass frequently has more benefits than just sparkling aquarium glass

Last edited:

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, I also agree it could happen. But how long, before that process begins? That's what I was asking gettanked.

Deanos

I think a lot of hobbyist forgets that all aquariums are enclosed ecosystems.

No one can actually tell you how long it takes Hydrogen Sulfide Bacterium to establish its self, and get to lethal levels.

I guess it all depends on how much and what kind of mechanical filtration and what kind of maintenance program being performed.

I?m glad to see people are talking.

Again this thread was meant to inform.

gettanked

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: