Should I use red slime remover?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So I'm really debating whether I should or shouldn't use that Red Slime Remover stuff. I remember back when I started reefing I used the evil yellow powder and it was not a pleasant experience. I was wondering what everyone has to say about it. Poll is limited to yes or no but if you can elaborate on experience or other methods, that would be great. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
IMO it's a great way to ruin your biological filtration. I vote no. Bigger tanks and or tanks with a decent amount rock, or very established tanks seem to get away with using it. It's the newer systems, or minimalist systems that seem to have major issues IME. Either way it's a poor way to rid the system of cyano and there's a very very good chance of it returning soon.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
imo it's a great way to ruin your biological filtration. I vote no. Bigger tanks and or tanks with a decent amount rock, or very established tanks seem to get away with using it. It's the newer systems, or minimalist systems that seem to have major issues ime. Either way it's a poor way to rid the system of cyano and there's a very very good chance of it returning soon.

+100000000000

REEFSTA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i vote no because noel ski used it and it worked great for him he gave me some don't get me wrong it worked but i noticed a a few corals didn't like it even after the water change my 2 year old plate died in less then a week

best thing imo is black out

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
IMO it's a great way to ruin your biological filtration. I vote no. Bigger tanks and or tanks with a decent amount rock, or very established tanks seem to get away with using it. It's the newer systems, or minimalist systems that seem to have major issues IME. Either way it's a poor way to rid the system of cyano and there's a very very good chance of it returning soon.

I actually voted yes because Ive used it and all the red slime
is gone now for about 4 months BUT...

After reading This you've changed my mind. I had an ammonia spike in my tank and I lost a good amount of coral after using it But never thought it was the cause. It was probably from the lack of bio filtration and caused a mini cycle

Thanx for the eye opener, take one positive vote off ur poll

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
x-2

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I voted no.

Even though people have used it without any I'll effects. I still don't like the idea of using chemicals to treat minor issues within the tank.

There is a cause to the cyano, best thing to do is find that cause and solve it. When you figure out issues down to the cause you learn the system better. If you just dump chemicals in it, you won't be learning much about it. Just my opinion.

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
We might as well start using Chemiclean as part of our "dosing" regime... I mean, we are already using GFO/Carbon/Vodka/Kalk and all this other crap to remove crap from our systems...Why stop there?

I've seen a lot of crashes caused by overdosing and faulty equipment. I've never seen a tank crash from Chemiclean.

:Hydrogen:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
As an update to this thread. I used two bottles of special blend with no results. I finally used a while container of chemi clean last week and I'm ecstatic to see no cyano in the tank, it's like I have a brand new tank. I'm also adding nite out to balance any possible bacterial die off

How large is your system? How much did you dose and how many times?
Sucks that it didn't work for you.The only times I saw SB not work is when there was an old DSB involved.

How large is your system? How much did you dose and how many times?
Sucks that it didn't work for you.The only times I saw SB not work is when there was an old DSB involved.

My system is 150 with a 30 refugium and a 75 gallon sump. I have DSB in my fuge, about 8 inches and my tank is at around 3 inches. Dosed two full bottles so at least 6 weeks. Although I wouldn't say any of my DSB is old, this new tank has been up about a year and 2 months

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
My system is 150 with a 30 refugium and a 75 gallon sump. I have DSB in my fuge, about 8 inches and my tank is at around 3 inches. Dosed two full bottles so at least 6 weeks. Although I wouldn't say any of my DSB is old, this new tank has been up about a year and 2 months

I'll assume you used the 16oz bottle since that's most common. With displacement factored, if your system was a real 200g, you probably didn't dose enough if you only used 32oz in 6 weeks.

This is what you would need to dose.
Week 1 300ml
Week 2 240ml
Week 3 240ml
Week 4 240ml
Week 5 240ml
Week 6 90ml (maintenance dose)

One bottle is 473ml x2 = 946ml You needed to dose 1350ml according to the bottle. Not that big of a difference but at only 6 weeks dosing it could be the deciding factor. A DSB even at just over a year can hold a ton of nutrients and lead to persistent cyano. The slime removers work, make everything look nice and white, but the results usually don't last.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: