cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Pierce, I use rare earth magnets to mount my powerheads. The ones I use will each hold 20 lbs. Two of them used opposing one another will hold any coral in your tank. No problem holding 30-35 lbs. Now that's a nice size frag ;)

BTW, when two of the magnets I use snap togther and pinch your skin, you will wind up with a blood clot, immediately. They are dangerous.

swimmer

Don't look like the magnet they used from the picture on the site linked in the first post is anywhere near as big as what you linked.

20 pounds of dead load is a lot less force than 5 pounds on the end of a 6 inch fulcrum.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Don't look like the magnet they used from the picture on the site linked in the first post is anywhere near as big as what you linked.

I was posting that to show what can be used in a DIY magplug to save some money. I'd suggest using a smaller magnet than the DC6 anyway. That's a lot of magnet.

cali_reef said:
20 pounds of dead load is a lot less force than 5 pounds on the end of a 6 inch fulcrum.

True that. However if you did use 2 x DC6, then you'd have even more holding force, even with a 6" fulcrum and a 5 lb colony. Besides, a 5 lb colony of coral would be huge, especially if it were 5 lbs under saltwater!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: