leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I actually PMed him and asked him about it. He told me that he wants an entire wall of sps corals growing on his back/side glass. My question is: How do you manage the corals if they are all growing upwards towards the light, with the exception of monti caps, ?

I think the magnets would be useful for BB tanks to use on the bottom. But thats about it. Plus they are pricey for the amount you get.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
that is a cool idea, but $5/ plug is pricey.

most of us have at least 30-100 frags in our tanks at any given time.

I know the magnets are not cheap, but you might be able to make your own for less. there's do look very well made.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
20$ for a gallon of clear water based poly resin, make a wood mold, and voila! u have the same for about .50$ a plug or little more.

All you gotto do is add a little resin to coat the bottom of the mold and then add the magnet then add the rest of the resin over the magnet. and the resin is tintable with safe tints to get the color u want.

don;t see a problem with coral growth moving towards the light if you tilt the place you add the coral.

IMO i think the tank he has set up looks a little silly with zoa's and a hammer on the back wall though. But if done right it probably won't look like you have a tank showcasing the magnet plugs instead of a reef tank.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
there is a sculpture store on the lower west side near the holland tunnel that sells all the resins and epoxies. forgot the name or the exact location but i found it in google.

anyways the 2 part epoxy sucks to use. gotto get mixing cups with amount marking on them and it gets messy quick if you spill some along with varied drying times and inconsistant dries if you get the measurements wrong, specially with a larger pour (chunky object bigger than a inch or so could get a non dried center and could take more than a week for it to dry through). Some people swear by them and work just as well and are harder if you get the mixture right but the epoxy's are mainly made for fiberglassing or thin walled part moldings.

they have 1 part, just pour resins that are fish safe and cheap, all you do is add a drop or two of hardener before you pour and your set.

Castin craft and a few other brands are out there for the 1 part w/ hardener.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
80_1.JPG
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/10-MAGNETIC-FRAG-DISKS-live-coral-propagation-plug-disc_W0QQitemZ130041737812QQihZ003QQcategoryZ46308QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

10 Plugs for $14.99 + $4.05 shipping.

Magnets on the inside on the plug and magnet on the outside of the tank.

80_1.JPG

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Nice concept for people with "frags":D The little magnet is not going to hold the weight when the frag grows out.

Pierce, I use rare earth magnets to mount my powerheads. The ones I use will each hold 20 lbs. Two of them used opposing one another will hold any coral in your tank. No problem holding 30-35 lbs. Now that's a nice size frag ;)

BTW, when two of the magnets I use snap togther and pinch your skin, you will wind up with a blood clot, immediately. They are dangerous.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: