• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
i can see where you are coming from. But the safer approach to dialing water flow down would be to put a ball valve on the return pipe not the drain.

If you don't have the suction as you should just replace it (i would replace it with a eheim 1262 not a mag.)

Why are you skimming so wet?

If I put the ball valve on the return that messes with the return pump and puts stress on the pump the only think I have on the retun is a check valve and a unio for easy service.

The skimmer for some reason is skimming wet I can't dial it in its a vertex 180i maybe has something to do with the flow as well and also I don't have a lot of fish only 3 fish so far. I have 3 more in quarantine a pair of Fiji live caught skunk fish and a powder brown tang.

I will look In to the Eheim 1262 any reason why you suggesting that one?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
the only way to increase flow through sump is to raise water level in dt. so either your pump is dying or its not big enough.

like tony mentioned, your asking for a flood with valves on returns. if drains can't handle what pump is returning the dt will over flow. much safer to gate pump.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ive had the same pump running for over 2 years and has been on 1/4 to 1/2 power with the restriction that puts it under stress as you call it and has been a warrior for me and everyone else who uses them. They are awesome reliable internal pumps :) You can't go wrong with an eheim :)

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Did you possibly break the impeller when cleaning the pump last time? I can't tell you how many impellers and impeller shafts I have replaced for people. It'll be a must cheaper and very easy fix. Did the pump run dry at all? That would kill all flow from the pump. If you want post a picture of the impeller itself,even if one blade is chipped it'll definitely effect flow.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ive had the same pump running for over 2 years and has been on 1/4 to 1/2 power with the restriction that puts it under stress as you call it and has been a warrior for me and everyone else who uses them. They are awesome reliable internal pumps :) You can't go wrong with an eheim :)

The Eheim is only 900gph I would be down grading since I have a danner mag 11 which is around 1100 gph.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
ok so i got my pump n yesterday i ended up getting the Danner mag 18 with 1800gph its a beast, i mean i like the company i had the danner 12 for 3 years and it was quiet and did its job. I bought the Danner 18 on amazon paid $108 with shipping. So the issue that i was having with the sump and the flow is because i have the loc line on the return spliting into @ on each side so i am reducing the flow into the tank. i changed it yesterday to a single return lock line and now the flow has picked up, so i think the problem wasnt in the return pump now i am stuck with a danner 12 maybe ill keep it for back up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: