• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Guys i am not sure but my return pump i am thinking might have something to do with this there is no enough flow going through my sump refugium it used to be better also the flow used to be a lot better from the returns now it very slow. I am thinking i might need a new return pump. Please let me know your insight .

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
guys thank you for the information but i still didn't really get my answer is it possible for the flow in the sump to be reduced due to the malfunctioning of the return pump. like its not doing the same amount of GPH.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Yes the pump can absolutely slow down your gph. You should be able to remove the faceplate on the pump and check out the impeller and impeller shaft. Make sure there is no algae build up,hair algae,any thing slowing it the impeller down from spinning. Be careful with the impeller and shaft more so the shaft they are usually ceramic and crack pretty easily.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Look and double check anything and everything that water passes. Teeth on overflow,baffles in sump,sponges on pumps or between baffles,strainers on bulkheads or pumps(plastic cone shape with spaces to allow water to pass but keep large objects from passing). Post pictures if possible of your overflow,sump,plumbing maybe one of us can see something and or explain to you where exactly to look and what to check for.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Can you post a picture of your overflow in the tank and your return section in you sump. Help us help you.

Please take a look at some of the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2290.jpg
    IMG_2290.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
i checked everything i mean i ran the sump with no sock its stilts samei took out all he sponges and its still not giving me a ny flow, and the only reason i know this is because the cheato thats in my sump when i let it float it doesn't tumble so i came to the conclusion that my mag drive 12 is lost its power and not drawing the usual water hence for the less of the flow in the sump. Also the other reason why i don't think the return pump isn't quite working the same is because i am starting to get alot of detritus build up very fast on the glass.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Did you take out the pump and clean it completely? You got a really nice setup and looks well done. Have you checked the teeth of the overflow and brushed them. Also if you put your hand near the inlet of the mag pump you should feel the force of suction.

One other thing i do not like is that you have shut off valves on your return that looks like you are utilizing. Not a great idea at all to have those even a little bit closed.

also check the holes on top of the overflows and make sure they are clear of salt creep...

Last edited:

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I mean everything is clean I alays clean the teeth when I do water changes religiously every 2 weeks. Sump is cleaned as well. I disagree with the shutoff vales as those are again prevention and easier acces to he bottom the are like unions also another way to control the flow I used to have to have to turn them down as the flow was very fast through the sump. I will check the intake like you suggested with the finger on the return pump. The return pump was cleaned a week ago he reason being is because this has been going on for a while with the flow. I think I will just go in and spend $100 on a new dinner mag 12 and see how it does. I really appreciate the invite.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
how much water drains down when pump is off?
when pump is running, how far up on over flow teeth does water line go.
could be your pump isn't returning enough water to dt to get good flow through sump.
when you put a gate valve on pump [if its over sized] you can adjust the water level in dt by opening or closing valve, giving sump more flow.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i can see where you are coming from. But the safer approach to dialing water flow down would be to put a ball valve on the return pipe not the drain.

If you don't have the suction as you should just replace it (i would replace it with a eheim 1262 not a mag.)

Why are you skimming so wet?

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
how much water drains down when pump is off?
when pump is running, how far up on over flow teeth does water line go.
could be your pump isn't returning enough water to dt to get good flow through sump.
when you put a gate valve on pump [if its over sized] you can adjust the water level in dt by opening or closing valve, giving sump more flow.

The water is half way up on the teeth, even when the ball valves open all the way. I Don't know how much water drains all I can say it's a lot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: