Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
In my experience macro algae does poorly to bring down Po4 unless you do not feed your tank. You're better off using Phosguard pellets adding small amounts within a few days. I add a 30 ml cap of Phosguard pellets to a reactor for three to four days. A total of 90 - 120 ml on my 90 gal to bring down my Po4 fast. GFO, i stopped using it. I have to add a lot to achieve a slow drop in Po4..

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions?

GFO seems like the most uncomplicated method for controlling phosphate levels.

Growing plants to achieve the same results as GFO depends on your "gardening" skills. Chaeto use is the fashion these days because it is cheap, grows quickly, and many, but not all, have luck growing it. There is also a philosophical bias that "all natural" is better for the health of your system.

Plants do not use much phosphate, so, you need to grow a lot of alga for big phosphate reductions.

I grow alage because I am interested in it and like gardening. Growing seaweed is fun. It would not be a method that I would call universally practical and reliable.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I've had dragons breath and chaeto. Nothing holds down PO4 like GFO or the alternatives. Even then the alternatives attack NO3 better than PO4. So I'd say GFO all the way. I use rowaphos and happy with it. It just doesn't last as long as I'd like.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Well, get those nano reactors rolling out so we can cut out the GFO....

20150309_031435_zpshxkcye2a.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: