Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,*
It has been awhile since my last post on this forum but I am on my third tank and this time running the full ZEOvit system. I have a 120 gallon display with a corner overflow. The filtration is in a 30 gallon breeder with a filter sock, ATI PowerCone IS-250 protein skimmer and Vertex RX-Z 1.5 Liter ZEOvit reactor with about 750 mL of ZEOliths. I do run ROX 0.8 carbon and GFO in separate mesh bags in the sump. I also dose lanthanum chloride as needed to lower PO4. I have a Jebao DC 6000 return pump and one Jebao RW-15 powerhead in the display. I originally dried the live rock out for three days and re-cured it for the 14 day initial ZEO cycle with no major issues. The tank has been up and running for 5 months now and the live rocks are completely covered with long strains of green hair algae and now I am beginning to have cyanobacteria growth on the sand bed. I have mix of Tonga, Pukani and Kaelini live rock which is about 100 pounds and 60 pounds of Tropic Eden Reefflakes sand. I was following the ZEO dosing schedule to the T until I started seeing the algae take over and now I have backed off to basically dosing only bacteria. I was dosing ZEObak, ZEOstart3, ZEOfood7, Sponge Power and KZ Coral Snow. I have also tried ZEOzym and mixing up the bacteria sources by using Microbacter7 and Special Blend. I have an assortment of Turbo Snails, Cerith Snails, Queen Conch, Blue Leg Hermit Crabs and now even a Sea Hare to rid the hair algae but nothing will touch it. I have three fairy wrasse's, one tailspot blenny, and two anthias in the tank. Maybe a tang would eat the algae? I feed frozen food twice a week but the fish mostly eat pellet food once or twice a day. I was thinking maybe the live rock is leaching out nutrients which is why only the rocks have green hair algae and not the overflow or glass/substrate. I try to stick with performing 30 gallon water changes with Tropic Marin Pro Reef sea salt and I do use a automatic doser to balance my alkalinity and calcium. My current parameters are as follows:

Salinity: 1.025 (33 ppt)
pH: 8.1
Alkalinity: 8 dKH
Calcium: 420
Magnesium: 1380
Potassium: 380
Nitrate: 2.5
Phosphate: 0.05 ppm

I have stopped dosing ZEOstart3 because I do register nitrates when I test and I don't want to fuel my algae bloom further. I currently run two 250 watt Phoenix 14K metal halides for 5 hours a day (3 month old bulbs) and two 54 watt ATI Pure Actinic T5's for 9 hours a day (3 months old). The first day I added the Sea Hare it ate a good amount of the algae on one portion of live rock but ever since it only hides during the day or berries under the sand, I haven't seen it eat anything. From the lack of ZEO dosing and lowering my nutrients I do seen a lightening in my SPS corals and they seem to really be suffering from all of this, not only from the lack of additives but also the algae stressing the bases of the corals. I try to brush as much of the algae off with a toothbrush but it grows back in two days. I even tried leaving the tank dark for three days but it did not kill the green hair algae just the cyano. Maybe the rocks will take a full year before they are gone leaching into the water column fueling the hair algae? Please help me as I am almost ready to give up out of frustration.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like too many nutrients to me.

house

Right, but from where? Feeding is minimal and ZEO products are not being used other than ZEObak. ZEOstart3 and ZEOfood7 are nutrient sources. I am thinking the live rock is leaching nutrients from dying organisms deeper in the rock. The rock was covered in sponges and corals for five years prior to my tank cracking and dried out for a few days before starting the cycling process all over.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update:
Last night I scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush as best as I could. I also dosed 2 scoops of ZEOzym, 8 mL of KZ Coral Snow, 8 drops of ZEObak, 4 drops of KZ Sponge Power, 0.2 mL of ZEOstart3 and vigorously shook the ZEOlite stones. The rocks look much better and the water clarity is amazing. I think the KZ Coral Snow has a lot to do with the water clarity.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to continue updating this thread until my tank is better or until it crashes. I woke up this morning to see my corals are very pale, Reefermadness Rainbow Nasuta, TCK Smurf Tenuis, and Toothman's Purple Fire are receding at the base. The 30,000 Leauges Lokani is bleached white and looks dead.
I did a quick water test:
Alkalinity ? 8.3 (Salifert) 7/19 exp.*
Phosphate ? 0.02 (Hanna) 3/17 exp.*
Nitrate - 0.00 (Salifert) 6/16 exp. [totally clear at every light angle]
After testing I added 0.5 mL of ZEOstart3, 4 drops of Sponge Power, 4 drops of ZEObak, 4 drops of ZEOfood7 and 4 drops of ZEO Amino Acid Concentrate. Fed frozen food today. Now i have to bring the nutrient levels back up! I hate this roller coaster ride. The only thing I did differently was add 2 scoops of ZEOzym and 8 mL of KZ Coral Snow plus scrub the live rock of hair algae. I have used 1 scoop of ZEOzym and 5 mL of KZ Coral Snow in the past but never saw corals get this light. Hopefully dosing ZEOstart3 (nitrate), amino acids and feeding frozen foods will bring my nitrates back up.*

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
zeovit systems are about maintaining low nutrients. It sounds lik the 2X a day feeding is causing the issue with high nutrients.

Manually remove pest algae and cut the feeding back until it stabilizes.

Best advice you're going to get^

Cut out all the dosing.
It will go away with a lot of patience and maintenance.
Keep it simple for now.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ricky, IMO you don't have a nutrient problem. Po4 of .05 and nitrate 2.5 is not high at all. I've maintained much higher levels with no problem algae and colorful fast-growing SPS for a long time. Sound like you have some stored organics in your rock. This has been my experience when using old dry rock. No matter how well I cleaned them, there was some stored die-off that remained inside. GHA all over these rocks was the result.

Trying to removed the GHA by stripping the water of nutrient is a surefire way to wipe out all your SPS. I would remove gfo, stop dosing lanathium, and quit any carbon source right away (including any blue bottle that smells like vinegar). I would also up the amino dose and fish feeding to help corals regain their zoox back.

Manual plucking, and a load of mexican turbos helped me rid rocks of GHA in the past. If possible, replace movable rocks with new rock. Either way, don't go crazy with additives. You will get rid of GHA at some point, but if your kill all or your coral in the process, what's the point of trying? Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ricky, IMO you don't have a nutrient problem. Po4 of .05 and nitrate 2.5 is not high at all. I've maintained much higher levels with no problem algae and colorful fast-growing SPS for a long time. Sound like you have some stored organics in your rock. This has been my experience when using old dry rock. No matter how well I cleaned them, there was some stored die-off that remained inside. GHA all over these rocks was the result.

Trying to removed the GHA by stripping the water of nutrient is a surefire way to wipe out all your SPS. I would remove gfo, stop dosing lanathium, and quit and carbon source right away (including any blue bottle that smells like vinegar). I would also up the amino dose and fish feeding to help corals regain their zoox back.

Manual plucking, and a load of mexican turbos helped me rid rocks of GHA in the past. If possible, replace movable rocks with new rock. Either way, don't go crazy with additives. You will get rid of GHA at some point, but if your kill all or your coral in the process, what's the point of trying? Keep us posted.

I definitely don't want to lose my corals in the process. I will take your advice and keep you posted with the results.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I came home from work and nothing else died or turned "whiter". I tested the water again after removing the GFO and ROX 0.8 carbon.
Alkalinity ? 8.0 (Salifert) 7/19 exp.
Phosphate ? 0.05 (Hanna) 3/17 exp.
Nitrate - 0.00 (Salifert) 6/16 exp.
Nitrates didn't budge even after adding amino acids and feeding frozen food but the phosphates did go up a little. I guess I will be purchasing Seachem Flourish to raise my nitrates. The alkalinity did drop even with the dosing pump still running so hopefully that means the corals are still uptaking it and growing/recovering.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: