Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I honestly think this process is being over thought. I upgraded from a 55 to a 180. Moved all the rock with coral and fish in one night without using bacteria in a bottle, everything went smooth. I'm sure someone will have an issue with my opinion. However, I say transfer it all in one well planned night and don't worry. Just don't add anything to the 165 for a couple months after the transfer.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I honestly think this process is being over thought. I upgraded from a 55 to a 180. Moved all the rock with coral and fish in one night without using bacteria in a bottle, everything went smooth. I'm sure someone will have an issue with my opinion. However, I say transfer it all in one well planned night and don't worry. Just don't add anything to the 165 for a couple months after the transfer.

Theoretically it should be fine this way.... I just figured I would give the tank that extra dose of bacteria because I used mostly dead sand, and didnt transfer over any of the old live sand.

Also I didnt put the fish in right away because i felt bad for them having to live in a cloudy tank as everything settled :P

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Nah, you're fine. I just upgraded a tank. 90 to 120, put in 2 bottles of the io bacteria. Moved over all the rocks and did some.scaping then put the fish in a few days later actually. You definitely don't want to put the fish in first otherwise you're bound to crush at least one with a rock
I am in slightly different situation. I transfer no live rock to a new system. My new project has banzai type of aquascaping. it took me 1 month to do it. that would have been impossible to do with a live rock, so this system starting from the scratch. i would bring some of my live rocks there for few weeks just to seed new system, and then remove it.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It is mixed feeling of sadness and joy in the same time. my 65 is well established system that was running for 7+ years and was able to take neglect and many other situations with out a problem. Now I have to let it go. It is like saying good buy to an old friend.
the new one is like an elephant baby. it is 3 times larger, but still a newborn, and you have to treat it like one. LOL.
I hope i dont overthink this process. :)

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Nothing wrong by taking your time. Good luck with transfer.
Post up some before / after pics
thanks.
time is on my side....
although, from the time i bought this 165G tank till now 3 month pass buy. it took me forever to do the right plumbing and aquascape and then cycling. first 3 Aquascapes i started with Banzai idea I finished with "The Wall". lol
Will do pre and post pic so you guys could see the whole project.
2 days a go i droped my Delta Force fish in it to check the grounds. it is Snowflake clown.
he is doing fine so far. He has a little problem of catching food in such a large tank, but what does not kills you, makes you stronger.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
thanks.
time is on my side....
although, from the time i bought this 165G tank till now 3 month pass buy. it took me forever to do the right plumbing and aquascape and then cycling. first 3 Aquascapes i started with Banzai idea I finished with "The Wall". lol
Will do pre and post pic so you guys could see the whole project.
2 days a go i droped my Delta Force fish in it to check the grounds. it is Snowflake clown.
he is doing fine so far. He has a little problem of catching food in such a large tank, but what does not kills you, makes you stronger.

lol, the delta force clown... i take it thats the one fish you caught?

From what you've said about this new tank, you definitely need to do things differently, need to take your time. What are you going to be doing with all the live rock from the old tank if you are only going to seed the new tank with it then take it out?

And with this new information, I would suggest taking a few pieces of rock from your old tank, putting it into the new tank and buy a couple chromis to put in the new tank along with delta clown. Let that sit like that for about a month then move the rest of the fish over, let that sit for another month, then take the old live rock out of the tank.

I would also def suggest using live bacteria bottles as for security.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
this is my 65G tank 6 month a go.
you can see how difficult it is to extract the fish from this system

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 40

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
this is my 65G tank 6 month a go.
you can see how difficult it is to extract the fish from this system

wow... very nice tank.

I can see both how it can be hard to get a fish out of there, as well as why you want to upgrade. hahaha.

seeing this tank, I cant wait to see what you do to the new "baby elephant"

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I have a beast GBTA of my own which unfortunately after the move took residence on the back side of the rocks so i dont really get to see it anymore except from the top of the tank looking down.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Very nice!

I totally understand, it took me 2 months to construct my rock structure for a 40.
I'm in the works for a 120 around December, so already starting to plan my bonsai style structure.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Very nice!

I totally understand, it took me 2 months to construct my rock structure for a 40.
I'm in the works for a 120 around December, so already starting to plan my bonsai style structure.
I worked a lot with acrylic rods and drilling. if you would need any advice, please do not hesitate. I used BRS base rock and Tonga plates a lot. some people do it with pukany rock, but it would leak phosphates in a system for up to a year. Good luck.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
lol, the delta force clown... i take it thats the one fish you caught?

From what you've said about this new tank, you definitely need to do things differently, need to take your time. What are you going to be doing with all the live rock from the old tank if you are only going to seed the new tank with it then take it out?

And with this new information, I would suggest taking a few pieces of rock from your old tank, putting it into the new tank and buy a couple chromis to put in the new tank along with delta clown. Let that sit like that for about a month then move the rest of the fish over, let that sit for another month, then take the old live rock out of the tank.

I would also def suggest using live bacteria bottles as for security.
Yep, this is a game plan. hopefully the fish trap comes soon so that will speed up my project.

Last edited:

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Just got the trap yesterday from AquaCave.e
No suction cup. it sucks because they say it comes with it
But at least my hunt have begone and i got two tangs Yesterday in a matter of one hour.
I think it is a success.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Yeah the trap is so easy... Or is it that the fish are so dumb.
Although I must say, out of all the fish I trapped the one who seemed most aware that it was a trap was my blue tang. As doofy as he acts, he's quite smart.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Yeah the trap is so easy... Or is it that the fish are so dumb.
Although I must say, out of all the fish I trapped the one who seemed most aware that it was a trap was my blue tang. As doofy as he acts, he's quite smart.
Lol.
Blue tang for me as well, and also flame angel.
I have very limited space in my 65G so even placing the trap in was complicated.
How do you get fifth from the trap? Hands or net?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: