chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi all.
I am moving 65G reef to new 165G tank. Fish needs to go first.
I have 10 fishes and after two hours yesterday was only able to catch one.
I tried feeding them and then scoop it.
Also waited till dark and then catch them when they are half a sleep.
Nothing seems to work.
I also have a lot of corals in, so moving net around is not that easy.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
need to move it ASAP.
thank you all in advance.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
i recently purchased the aqua medic fish trap, and would do it again in a heart beat. awesome product. only problem is its a little on the larger side, so make sure to look up dimensions and be sure you have that much space in the sand to let it sit on.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i recently purchased the aqua medic fish trap, and would do it again in a heart beat. awesome product. only problem is its a little on the larger side, so make sure to look up dimensions and be sure you have that much space in the sand to let it sit on.
Thank you for advice.
Can this trap be attached to the side glass of the tank VS sand. I have zero empty sand space.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Thank you for advice.
Can this trap be attached to the side glass of the tank VS sand. I have zero empty sand space.

Not with stuff it comes with. You would need some glass magnet cleaners to hold it up. ive seen videos of this trap being used on the glass, but it doesnt come with anything to hold it there.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
It sounds like the 65 gallon is getting taken down anyway.. why not just remove the rock and put them in buckets with water or to the 165, than catch the fish?

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The new model comes with double suction cup. I just ordered one. the thing is 60$ but i think it would be a good investment. Everything else stresses out the fish and then it gets ick and you lose them all.
Thank you for your help.

the new model? I just ordered mine last week and it didnt come with any stinkin suction cups. haha.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It sounds like the 65 gallon is getting taken down anyway.. why not just remove the rock and put them in buckets with water or to the 165, than catch the fish?

65g is loaded to the max with corals. I was advised to move my fish first and let them stay there for a little while, so the new 165G will develop enough bacteria to handle the bio load. I did move some shrooms, Zoas and softies there to see if they can survive the new water. But I was planing to move my main LPS's and SPS's there after a about a month the tank was running with fish load. It did went through the cycle but unless the waist load is kept constant the bacteria population will die out slowly, or will adjust to smaller bio load. Then, with a new fish the tank will go through mini cycles meaning ammonia and all the other stuff, and it will adversely affects my corals.
I have a lot of $$$ invested in corals, so I can't take chances.
But thank you for an advice. I wanted to do it the way you say it first, but was talked out of it.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Bacteria in a bottle candidate here.
Hi. Did that in the beginning of cycling 165G. All those are aerobic bacteria that brakes ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. I need to develop a colony of anaerobic
Bacteria that lives deep inside the rocks or DSB. I don't have DSB. My send bed is 2" ,so I
need a bit of time to develop it. In the mean time I have to keep the size of aerobic bacteria high buy providing them source of ammonia so all 3 groups are about same size and capable of handling large Bio Load.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi. Did that in the beginning of cycling 165G. All those are aerobic bacteria that brakes ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. I need to develop a colony of anaerobic
Bacteria that lives deep inside the rocks or DSB. I don't have DSB. My send bed is 2" ,so I
need a bit of time to develop it. In the mean time I have to keep the size of aerobic bacteria high buy providing them source of ammonia so all 3 groups are about same size and capable of handling large Bio Load.
Anaerobes convert nitrate to Nitogen gas.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0

Nah, you're fine. I just upgraded a tank. 90 to 120, put in 2 bottles of the io bacteria. Moved over all the rocks and did some.scaping then put the fish in a few days later actually. You definitely don't want to put the fish in first otherwise you're bound to crush at least one with a rock

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Nah, you're fine. I just upgraded a tank. 90 to 120, put in 2 bottles of the io bacteria. Moved over all the rocks and did some.scaping then put the fish in a few days later actually. You definitely don't want to put the fish in first otherwise you're bound to crush at least one with a rock

Yeah, that is what I was referring.
I comprehend bacteria.....

I've transferred livestock this way too.

You would be fine adding bacteria bottle stuff to aid in the bacteria population and reproduction as bacteria die off occurs do to "over stocking".

Are you are using your established rock as well? If so that has all the bacteria you need for the amount of critters you currently have.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: