AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Whatever they are , they don't look pretty and can take over your tank very fast
Google "dinoflagellates in reef tank" - this is one of the images from that search

That's what I had. Luckily the blackout worked. I think It helped that I got to it early. I had a large die off in my tank that I think sparked it. I can't be sure but when I was doing my research others reported that they had things die just before the outbreak. I hope they never come back!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Pardon me for asking questions, this is a rather spirited bunch heh? Next time I'll go ask someone at Petco instead of here on the forum. Anyway,just trying to educate myself on dinoflagellates in general as I only had a basic understanding of them. I didn't know there were also benthic species. The photo posted is pretty revealing. Thanks for keeping all ignoramus updated.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Don't take it so hard. The thread wasn't a discussion on what is Dinos? There's already countless threads on the subject, the OP already knew he had it and wanted help fighting it. Of course you can ask questions that's how we learn but you where suggesting he use clams and other filter feeding options which showed you had no idea what you were talking about and just caused a distraction to solving his problem.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys so the peroxide is keeping them at bay at the moment and maybe even killing some off. The heavy mate on the sandbed has lightened up and no bubbles. There is still some on the rocks. On the up side the sps are still growing lol and polyp extension has gotten better. Do you guys think it would be ok to do a lights out if i did one 2 weeks ago? Im gonna be looking up the Dino-x and maybe give that a try. I know i have to figure out what the underline problem is just not sure how to narrow it down. I was overfeeding for a while and now have cut that back to every other day and 1/2 cube. I only have 4 fish and a bunch of corals. What do you guys think of a UV unit aswell i have never had one but have been thinking of getting one if it would help.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Glad your making progress. I think you'd be fine doing another blackout, say 48hrs. Your SPS should be fine, most are under blackouts longer during shipping. Adding a UV wouldn't hurt but not sure how well it is against Dinos though.

sgdcover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Pardon me for asking questions, this is a rather spirited bunch heh? Next time I'll go ask someone at Petco instead of here on the forum. Anyway,just trying to educate myself on dinoflagellates in general as I only had a basic understanding of them. I didn't know there were also benthic species. The photo posted is pretty revealing. Thanks for keeping all ignoramus updated.

I'm hoping you were joking about getting advice at Petco!

sgdcover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys so the peroxide is keeping them at bay at the moment and maybe even killing some off. The heavy mate on the sandbed has lightened up and no bubbles. There is still some on the rocks. On the up side the sps are still growing lol and polyp extension has gotten better. Do you guys think it would be ok to do a lights out if i did one 2 weeks ago? Im gonna be looking up the Dino-x and maybe give that a try. I know i have to figure out what the underline problem is just not sure how to narrow it down. I was overfeeding for a while and now have cut that back to every other day and 1/2 cube. I only have 4 fish and a bunch of corals. What do you guys think of a UV unit aswell i have never had one but have been thinking of getting one if it would help.

I personally don't like UVs. I'm not sure how useful they are. In a reef, you want to keep the water column as alive as possible and UV's kill off a lot of fauna. Plus, they will only cover up other problems. Better to stabilize and get a good balance going as naturally as possible (ie less equipment) IMO.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yea im with you Sgdcover my system is pretty much just essentials. Skimmer, Dosing pumps, gfo/gfc reactor and top-off. It has been running great with minor algae hear and there. I have a feeling this came about of my over feeding and also the live rock i purchased was used from craigslist. I dont know what else it could be.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Yea im with you Sgdcover my system is pretty much just essentials. Skimmer, Dosing pumps, gfo/gfc reactor and top-off. It has been running great with minor algae hear and there. I have a feeling this came about of my over feeding and also the live rock i purchased was used from craigslist. I dont know what else it could be.

My money's on the live rock. When I had it in my previous tank it was only after adding more live rock from another reefer that it started to appear. Ever since then I only use and will continue to use dry rock from a reputable source.

sgdcover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You may have mentioned this already but how long has the rock been in your tank?

You canbtry to smell it. Sounds gross but if you smell any strong rotten smells then there's something decomposing and it could go slowly leaching organics into the water. it could stink really bad and you'd never notice at the surface of the water.

sgdcover

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
If the love rock has been in the tank for two years then I doubt that would be the problem except perhaps a critter that died inside.

One thought I just had looking back through pics. It looks like you don't have a thick sandbed. If so, it's not important to the system. I'd siphon that baby out and rinse it clean. That'll take out out a lot of the dinos along with whatever is feeding them.

Any luck with what you've done so far?

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
What i have done so far has only stunned it. Dinos are still there in the tank, but not getting worse. I have DinoX on order im gonna give that a shot and see what happens. I think if the dino x doesnt work for me i maybe breaking down the tank at this point and starting over with new rock and sand. Im working on setting up a frag tank to house the corals and my fish will get split 2 in the frag tank and 2 in the QT. I really dont want to restart but my fear is that i will come back again. This is last resort though.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Im gonna give the Dino X a chance. I just tested my water tonight and results are as follows.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10ppm
Alk - 9.3
Ca - 410
Mag - 1320
Po - .27pmm <--- This was done on hanna.

My gfo runs none stop so im assuming im something is leeching out phos either rocks or maybe just a build up of **** in the sand bed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: