pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I've got some things that need to be weighted down that I don't want to tie or glue to rocks. Are any of the pre-formed weights considered reef safe?
I'm looking specifically at drop sinkers or aquarium plant weights.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
reddish color weights? would mean iron, greenish copper and lead darkens to grey. Ah, the swivels are steel.

No swivels. Grey Lead 'bank' sinkers covered in rust. Perhaps there's a metal blend? I'm not sure, but I buy hundreds of pounds of sinkers each season, and yes 100% they rust. Come on my boat if you want to see proof :)

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To the best of my knowledge, "rust" only really applies to iron based items. Lead will turn gray when it oxidizes/corrodes, but as mentioned previously it's been under study for ill effects on nature etc.

I have seen some of the newer "eco-friendly" ones and those do appear to have a brown color to them after very little exposure to saltwater use.

Personally I have sinkers in my garage that belonged to my grandfather and have never seen any with actual rust on them, but if forced I will just have to go fishing with Jackson to confirm the rusty lead.

Side note - Jackson if you buy them in bulk do you have a charter boat or something?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
^+1 im sure fishing sinkers are made from poor quality or recycled lead that contains iron or other metals, that will cause rust. i have had some sinkers rust but not all.
i would think those lead wraps that are made for aquariums is a better quality lead but i would use rock rubble.
Rich has a charter boat in sheepshead bay. never fished with him, but would like to.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Cave Dweller, yes I have a charter boat in Brooklyn "ROCKFISH CHARTERS". These sinkers don't rust out solid like regular metal does, it just gets a light rust coating. Not a big deal, but i wouldn't want these particular sinkers in my tank.

Edd, on Dec 15th I move the boat to the Atlantic Highlands. If you're into black fishing that's the best time! Give me a call if you want to come.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: