Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Yes that is the point. Most refractometers that are made for testing salinity need to be calibrated with a known saline solution. 2 point as warren does it is best, but the 53ms solution or equivilent is fine. RHF also gives a home made recipe for a saline calibration solution using Morton's table salt that is very easy to make. RD

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
just when i thought i was doing something right.

in a way this is a great find. this article is proof that some of the methods we use in reefing aren't very accurate @ all even when we been told so

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
This thread is a great heads up. I made the NaCl solution two days ago using my lab equipment (so the weight and volume are accuate), and tested my refractometer. Lucky it was accuate.

If anybody wants I could bring some to the Xmas party.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0

That would be great Shaun. Thanks.
Would it be better if we all made holsters for ours and brought them to the party instead :biggrin: ........or would the NYPD think we were all a bunch of
1033.gif

R

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Shaun,
OT of this thread but since your here :), is it true that when utilizing an UV sterilizer 40w & over and if you have No3 in your bulk water that it can unbind No3 back into No2?
I was told this from a hobbyist off the forum.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Shaun,
OT of this thread but since your here :), is it true that when utilizing an UV sterilizer 40w & over and if you have No3 in your bulk water that it can unbind No3 back into No2?
I was told this from a hobbyist off the forum.
OK, so before I comment, understand that I am not a big fan of UV sterilizers. My main reason is due to the fact that they kill micro-organisms, hence the term sterilization. We keep reefs to growth marine life, big and small, not kill them. But a UV sterilizer could be helpful for an ich infection for example, so they do have their place, but so does a QT tank, so that ich never touches ones main tank.

So with that said, the function of UV light would be to kill any small living cell or multicellular organism by causing DNA damage. UV would also affect any proteins/chemicals that are present in the water but causing structural changes that could make them more susceptible to skimming or degradation. This is probably another good function of a UV sterilizer and maybe the best argument for using one, however, if you have alot of free proteins/chemicals present in your tank you are doing something wrong to begin with. SO to answer specifically your question Warren:

Nitrate has a very strong absorption at 214 nm in the UV range. Most dissolved organics have a strong absorption at 254 nm. Nitrite also absorbs UV light. So YES nitrate could be converted to nitrite, but nitrite can also be converted right back to nitrate. So it could be a self defeating process, but the nitrate/nitrite ratio would be a factor, i.e. if much more nitrate is present then converting to nitrite could overwelm the back reaction. Bacteria are a much better means of N reduction, IMO, with less negative affects.

Last edited:
T

twinreef

Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
This thread is a great heads up. I made the NaCl solution two days ago using my lab equipment (so the weight and volume are accuate), and tested my refractometer. Lucky it was accuate.

Hey Shaun

can u bring me some of that solution?
Thanks

Jorge

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: