Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
No, not all.....some of it might sound ok but until I can get algae under control long term, grow some coral long term, bring nitrates down and keep it down....I still can claim worst reef keeper! LOL

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Another one after my title!, LOL. Might have to split this into tank size categories!

Figured if I fessed up to this, then might inspire others who might feel somewhat intimidated to ask for help or share their experiences. I know I can at times....

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Im def in the running,, I dont test anything except salinity. Try testing your PH if you really cant grow anything because the 29gal Biocube was one of my fav tanks,,they're all my favorites, but the BioCube's stock lighting grew zoos like weeds. no skimmer or refugium, top off and change 5 gal a week. Also, I'm a big fan of Kessil lights(combined with T5 of course) and a A350W may be a little much for that cube.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Ok, here are the numbers:

PH: 8.0 API
Ammonia: 0.00 API
Nitrates: 80 ppm API
Nitrite: 0.00 PPM API
Phos: 0.00 Hanna - was thrilled to see this....have struggled with this being high for a while
Alk: 114 CaCO3 = 6.384 DKH Hanna
Calcium: 504 Hanna
Mag 1500 Red Sea
Salinity 35ppt
Temp 76-78

IMO Alk needs to be raised to between 8-9 dkh.
Nitrate needs to come down, but not absolutely needed based on type of corals you listed.
Forget about pH. I don't test for it or ever care to chase pH numbers.
How large is the birdsnest? At 6.3 dkh thats way too low to support growth.
Calcium is on the high side, but still within okay level. The problem is the imbalace between Cal/Alk.
Ideally you should aim for 420 Cal and 8.4 Alk

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks oh207. For some reason since day one, my calcium has never tested that low. Do not know how to bring calcium down. Just got a test Red Sea test kit from Aquarium Villiage tonight and can test for calcium using Red Sea and see if the results are similar to Hanna.This alk is lower than it usually is... I have noticed at times that my PH plummets. This time was more normal. ...

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The Red Sea Coral Pro salt has higher level of Calcium than most other brands. And I'm sure thats the source. pH will drop in the nights or especially in the Winter when the house is closed up. Dosing Alk will cause the pH to spike, but as I've mentioned before, i never bothered to chase pH.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
How many hours a day should I run the lights?
Anywhere between 8-12hrs. If i read correctly, you have the lights on in the AM for 4hrs, then turn off, and then turn on back again in the afternoon for another 4hrs? If so, then that's not ideal for a reef setup.

Also with pH, in the summer mine ranges from 8 to 8.3 and in the winter it ranges from 7.8 to 8.10 (between night and day)

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks oh.....will focus on raising the ph a bit and will adjust the lighting. Will have it be on so when I am home its part of the 8 hrs. Got the birdsnest about 2 weeks ago, so far looks very good and its about 3 inches. Almost out of the red sea pro, will make the switch to the non pro and see if it helps lower the calcium.....

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
With nitrate of 80, don't expect stuff to grow, they might survive but barely. I would bring that down thru water changes.

How often do you do water change and what percentage? Do a big water change to bring down nitrate, I would go as far as 40-50%, but make sure the water match what is in your tank. Doing a 10% weekly or so does no impact at all to nitrate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: