Mr.First

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm not sure how you value worth it. Don't have the test data to support any claims, however, when I had one it was a fun and interesting component to the system. If was fun to keep things in that you wanted to keep out of the main tank. When I had mine the lights were left on 24/7. Not sure if that is how people still use it, but as I said, I really liked having it.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
If they're coming from war torn countries then I understand,,oh sorry REFUGIUMS not REFUGEES!
I have never had a fully functioning one myself, my next tank will have one plumbed between the drain of my DT and the sump and I'll keep snails,crabs,hermits etc to catch any uneaten food and the various macro will be the bio part of filtering. I've never had one because everywhere I've read or asked agreed the small 5 gallon chamber on most sumps are not enough to do what we expect. My .02

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Agree with Mr.First and it also depends on your system and the size of the refuge.
cam00015.jpg

cam00015.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.First

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
One time I was looking into the main tank and my fish were feasting on what looked like little open see-through umbrellas floating down, yes I may have been a bit high, but something was going on. I attributed it to some kind of activity from the refugium.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I'm not big on refugiums, I prefer a skimmer and carbon source/bacteria dosed in my system. I also keep bio media in my sump for more bacterial surface area (using Marinepure media)

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Do whatever make you happy man, it will not make any significant difference. I have a refugium because i can experience different things.

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benefit is pretty subjective in my opinion. I understand both arguments either for or against having a refugium. I enjoy the added diversity that I gain by having a fuge in my system. My wrasse relentlessly hunts down every worm,pod, crustacean in the main display, so I feel that it gives these creatures a safe place to reproduce. Other wise I don't think I would have much of anything on the rocks.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i have ran my systems for the last 10 years with no types of algea in my sump. only live rock. this gives pods a safe haven as well as extra surface area for bacteria to grown and filter, but i am also huge on having a good and proper sized skimmer for my system's. i have played with about every type of dosing and bacteria source out. some systems just cannot maintain macro algea's { ulns especially } and not having enough nutrients to keep the macro's growing can be worse when they start to die off. a litttle more info on your system and plans to keep and grow and your maintanance schedule would help us help you

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: