piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
might you be referring to Sal's NY Aquaria. Miss that store! what ever happened to sal?

This is how funny life is when I lived in the Bronx. For 42yrs not much LFS. I found NY Aquaria in Mamaroneck. I moved there and they closed. Then TRS opens in the Bronx and Old Max Reef. I just can't win. Hopefully Gills turns out to be a nice place. 35 yrs ago their was more saltwater stores on Central ave than now. Go figure the hobby wasn't popular then and had more LFS. :scratch:

salpet

Advanced Reefer
its funny you say that pat remenber how many stores there were back then, it seemed like every town had one. as far as Sal is concerned he went back to being a truck driver working for a cement or masonry company. steve librett and i sold him our reef store back in the 80s we were located on north ave by iona college in new rochelle , and then he moved the store to mamaroneck. he did not last long though i think the rent killed him.

its funny you say that pat remenber how many stores there were back then, it seemed like every town had one...
There had to be at least 10-15 stores between the County Center in WP and the Racetrack in Yonkers

steve librett and i sold him our reef store back in the 80s we were located on north ave by iona college in new rochelle , and then he moved the store to mamaroneck. he did not last long though i think the rent killed him.

was that the store on the left before the police station?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Remember Eds Tropical in old cross country... He had Rocky the Black Piranha... I don't remember name where Crazy Eddie was but it was a huge fish store. Other store where I think were sisters or partners. Had 500 gal display and the biggest selection on saltwater fish in the 80's. All on central Ave .

Remember Eds Tropical in old cross country... He had Rocky the Black Piranha... I don't remember name where Crazy Eddie was but it was a huge fish store. Other store where I think were sisters or partners. Had 500 gal display and the biggest selection on saltwater fish in the 80's. All on central Ave .

Yes to them all... 'crazy eddies' was gigantic, girls across from Curry Chevy were 'partners', I think there were 2 or 3 stores by Cross County

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
yes it was ,small store but we thought that we were the salt water kings at the time

Not for nothin... but Sal was the man. Super to deal with and I didn't mind spending all my money there, lol. He had arguably the best SPS display (all be it small) at the time. I miss his store and speaking with Alex and Sal about all things reef. thanks for providing a little history. very interesting and didn't know that the origins were in NR.

Reef stores back then were rare in the area back then and also now. Its must be a tough area and would be nice if this new store does well.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Not for nothin... but Sal was the man. Super to deal with and I didn't mind spending all my money there, lol. He had arguably the best SPS display (all be it small) at the time. I miss his store and speaking with Alex and Sal about all things reef. thanks for providing a little history. very interesting and didn't know that the origins were in NR.

Reef stores back then were rare in the area back then and also now. Its must be a tough area and would be nice if this new store does well.

Not much progress going on in the store. A shipment of tanks arrived but nothing being set up. I think the location is pretty good. Right off 95. Parking should be no issue. Has back parking. And you can park near the store it's in residential area. But no parking on N. Barry ave. I think the size of store is good. I also hope it will do well. Since it's very close to me. Time would tell.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting! Gills is in the process of getting everything ready. The fish tanks are up and running and starting to cycle. Unfortunately we are still waiting for our reef tanks to arrive but they should be in shortly. I'll keep everyone posted with any updates and an exact opening date. We will have a wide variety of both saltwater and freshwater fish as well as corals and all supplies needed to maintain your aquarium. We wish were open already and can't wait to get the doors open! Updates to come!

JustAnt

Experienced Reefer
Drove by today Sal. A few tanks and stands no progress of them working on the store. Very slow if any work beeing done. No way they be open by end of month. Luckly if they open by end of year at this pace.

Any news? I guess not open yet or u would've reported

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Drove by the place and saw tanks with the system running. Looks like a nice classy display using glass aquarium. The way it looks should be opening very soon. I would say one or two weeks. Still looks like he waiting on reef tanks.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: