reefboss

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My roommate keeps *****ing about the water splash noise coming from the aqua clear 110s, can anyone suggest what kind of plastic i can use to make a lid on the aquarium to stop water evaporation, and dampen the noise?

thanks

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I'm sure if you just stuff a sock in it, and use a little duct tape to keep the sock in place, it should shut that mouth right up.

But on a serious note, what type of tank is it? is it a standard size, maybe try a glass versa top or something along those lines. Unfortunately its tough to silence a HOB type filter. Maybe try a canister.

reefboss

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
already made the investment in the AC's and dont have the funds to go buy a canister at this point in time.

its a standard 55. i dont think versa tops would works with two AC 110s, or would they?

is there some type of plastic i could cut to fit?

i also saw on google, sealing a piece of plastic to the AC cover so the water doesnt splash? i dont really see the phsyics of it, but maybe that would work/

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1405

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The versa tops usually have about an inch or so of plastic at the rear to account for anything going into the tank. You just cut the plastic to fit your needs.

The plastic piece is a good idea and will work well. I cant think of the physics of it right now but its basically the same science involved in the different sound made between peeing into the water and peeing onto the porcelain... Assuming your a male that is.

reefboss

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has OCD when it comes to the noise, it really isnt that bad, but the water may fall and 1 inch or 2 (im guessing( by the end of the week. obviously i dont care about the noise and do my water changes on my schedule, but i fear if i dont do something soon hes going to narc to the apt dorm housing and they will force me to get rid of my tanks which have been running for 2 years without complaints from current and previous roomates.

Skaters216

Reefing for My Kids!
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Best way to drown out the noise is sticking his head under water for 3 minutes, Problem solved or your roommate needs to get L--d

Why. Can't you extend the return with a piece of plexi glass from filter into water? Thinks this is ur best option other than Jail lol

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
you dont want to cover a salt tank. i tried it, and had to clean the glass every other day because salt creep will block the light.
try keeping your water level up higher and steady.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
you dont want to cover a salt tank. i tried it, and had to clean the glass every other day because salt creep will block the light.
try keeping your water level up higher and steady.

+1
Not to mention lock of CO2 and Nitrogen gas release from the tank, i experiment one tank (40 gal. breeder, only mushrooms and few fish) they never open the same , i have to remove the cover.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: