theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ok, if that works for you. Just sharing my experience and what I've learned.

Think it's worth mentioning...
Many lfs keep their salinity low to combat stress and parasites, so it doesn't matter if you take 2 hours to acclimate. If you're raising their salinity more than 2 points per day you're not doing it right.

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mixing large angels are really tricky. I have custom acclimation boxes made for catching fish, displaying fish inside my display tank and holding fish for long periods of time. Every fish is different but you must use a box of some sort. Everything that goes into my tank goes in a box for minimum a week so I can train the fish to eat, watch how other fish come up to the box, are they lunging at the box or trying to bite it? Is the fish in the box scared? I release the fish when nothing is going at the box or showing any interest in it and the fish is eating the stuff I want it to eat aggressively. This usually works the first time but ive gotten better over the years. My blueface was in the box for 3 months. He was released into the tank 6-8 times. My emperor would pin him down into a corner somewhere and after a few times the blueface would swim back into the box. Eventually he was accepted and now for 3 years zero aggression. Sometimes some grunting but its really uncommon. The boxes are really key to my success. Right now my challenge is keeping an Emperor, annularis, blueface, passer, queen and townsend as well as a handful of genicanthus angels in check. In this tank I have lost a cream, rockbeauty, watanabi and bellus angel. The cream was over 5yrs old and I think he got a bad mouth infection. The rockbeauty just mysteriously died and the genis well were a lack of judgement on my part, shouldn't have put them in this tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: