reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
if you're worried about aggression you can always get an in tank quarantine box. it will help you identify possible aggressive behaviors, and will also give the new fish a change to see its surrounding which will make it that much more confident when its released into the tank.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
angels

Angels are tough to introduce to a tank with other angels. Sometimes changing the decor works. Feeding when you first put fish in. Catching and isolating an agressive fish. I use a small basket and attach Styrofoam to it so it floats and put agressive fish in it until new fish gets used to tank. What size tank is it?

definitely use an acclimation box
also add mirrors around the

thats how i got my regal together

tank
img_7781.jpg

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
If its just one fish being the aggressor you can just remove it for a few days until the newbie has acclimated, which I did for 17 years with my PBT( yes it was that old) and I also have done it for an Emperor, a Blueface, a Regal and currently my Majestic. I also use different size acclamation boxes, as mentioned, for most fish I add....just recently after QT my Eightlined Flasher wrasse spent a week in one until it was safe to release it.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I've used Acclimation box for wrasses and worked well

Would it work with anthais I have
6 lytail 1 male 5 female 2 scribbled 1 bartlett and 1 evansi
The last 3 anthais I tried to add where killed tail bitten off on a flavo and 2 sunset also didn't make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
He is doing better just keeping to a corner. Hopefully things don't get messy again. Thanks guys for all your help. ....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I assume they stopped on their own and you are observing... ?

If you dont pull the aggressor the blue face will ALWAYS hide... he will eventually defend himself but will always keep to himself. I'd say follow the advice of the others, keep the aggressor in acclimation box to let blueface wander for a few days and get a feel of the tank.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I've been following thread.
I always introduce at night, and when the lights are off.
I've only had aggression from PBT and most recently from a Purple tang and a Achilles.
I just got a goldflake yesterday and I really like this fish. I'm hoping the Tangs don't bother it when it comes time to introduce.
I always thought that Tangs will only bother other Tangs. I didn't realize that they will go after other species as well.

Sent from my SM-NCC-1701C using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I never heard that more than 30 minutes is harmful to fish....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Depends on a lot of things, and the stress of being in a bag and being handled can't be good.
If the fish is in dirty water from the lfs, and/or it poops in the bag the air is trapped in the bag which raises the c02. The c02 goes up and causes the ph to go down. Then you open the bag and the c02 gets released and the ph goes up quickly. Depending on these factors and how long the fish has been in the bag, sometimes a shorter acclimation is less damaging and therefore better. With corals and inverts, especially filter feeders, you should in most cases slow acclimate. But with fish that experience the process mentally, and as a result get stressed, more than 30 min imo is more harm than good.

FWIW the clock starts ticking when you open the bag, so when you float it leave it closed

Last edited:

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Depends on a lot of things, and the stress of being in a bag and being handled can't be good.
If the fish is in dirty water from the lfs, and/or it poops in the bag the air is trapped in the bag which raises the c02. The c02 goes up and causes the ph to go down. Then you open the bag and the c02 gets released and the ph goes up quickly. Depending on these factors and how long the fish has been in the bag, sometimes a shorter acclimation is less damaging and therefore better. With corals and inverts, especially filter feeders, you should in most cases slow acclimate. But with fish that experience the process mentally, and as a result get stressed, more than 30 min imo is more harm than good.

FWIW the clock starts ticking when you open the bag, so when you float it leave it closed

If your adding water to the bag then the ph goes back to normal

I feel all fish minimum of 45 min (at least double the water in this time)

and for more sensitive fish/inverts like some wrasses, anemones, starfish etc.. hour - hour and a half +

i have never lost a fish in acclimation i have lost fish and inverts due to me rushing the process

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: