b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
All in all I had a pretty decent Black Friday fish shopping. I bought 10 fish in all. 2 I really wanted the other ones i just bought because it was such a good deal I couldn't resist.
Out of the 10 i have lost 2 as of this morning. Not bad at all since we often discuss the mortality rates of fish when there just brought in from the lfs and we as buyers rush out and buy them because there on sale or because it's Black Friday. We're our own worst enemy. Looking forward to going home tonight and seeing if anything else perishes. How was everyone's else luck so far?

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Yes I did. I actually used the blue life instant QT stuff since I got it free. They are now in a 72 gallon QT tank for observation. Woke up this morning to 2 fish stuck on powerheads. I got them off and they swam away. Pretty sure they got themselves stuck again. Maybe not but I classify them as my 2 causualties. A magnificent foxface and a regular. I already have a magnificent so I'm not to heartbroken but I hate death of Anything

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Yes I did. I actually used the blue life instant QT stuff since I got it free. They are now in a 72 gallon QT tank for observation. Woke up this morning to 2 fish stuck on powerheads. I got them off and they swam away. Pretty sure they got themselves stuck again. Maybe not but I classify them as my 2 causualties. A magnificent foxface and a regular. I already have a magnificent so I'm not to heartbroken but I hate death of Anything

Yeah it does sucks. I've lost more fish in the first 1-2 days of qt. look up chloroquine phosphate works on most fish 1 month preventative treatment. It's not too good for wrasses though.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I looked up chloroquine phosphate. Couldn't find any locally so I had to order some from a reliable source online. Only issue I have read with it is fish usually develop some sort of bacterial infection with or after

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Only thing to remember about CP is it leaves a horrible taste in the fishes mouth so may not want to eat. I dont like to use it until after eating a bit. Also kills bacteria so have to watch your water quality. Its a great medicine if used correctly. You can use with prazi but just need to be aware of how to use everything properly.

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Only thing to remember about CP is it leaves a horrible taste in the fishes mouth so may not want to eat. I dont like to use it until after eating a bit. Also kills bacteria so have to watch your water quality. Its a great medicine if used correctly. You can use with prazi but just need to be aware of how to use everything properly.

+1 dosage too is important.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Yes doing research everyday on it. Doses range from 40-80 with 40 being therapeutic level to 80 being used for extreme cases
As far as bad taste in mouth that would be only if being used with food?

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Treatment is in the water so they are ingesting it. That's why I believe some won't eat during treatment. Ideally you want the fish to be well fed before you put it in qt with cp. most fish won't eat food with cp in it.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I was reading a very interesting thread on another forum by a well respected individual in our hobby named humblefish. He seems to think CP treatment of 10 days is good enough to break the life cycles of some of our deadliest diseases. Instead of the 30 days

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Treatment is 40mg per gallon max is 80. You dose then wait 10 days. Can redose up to two more times. If you do a water change redose for that. There is also a daily dosage but i dont have that off the top of my head.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was reading a very interesting thread on another forum by a well respected individual in our hobby named humblefish. He seems to think CP treatment of 10 days is good enough to break the life cycles of some of our deadliest diseases. Instead of the 30 days
If cp only kills during the part of the life cycle between hatch and looking for a host stage, than 10 days is not enough

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Should have been more clear. Treating angels for flukes with a full dose of prazipro, a low dose of copper for secondary infections and a cleaner wrasse for good measure.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Copper isn't for secondary infections. Prazipro is a very weak solution of Praziquantel, so it may work or it may not. If you think your fish has flukes then you should give the fish a 5-10 min fresh water bath and either treat with Prazipro at a higher level, and do multiple treatments, or get the Praziquantel powder and use that instead.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Do you know a place to get praziquantel? I used it years ago but do not have a source for it anymore. I have dipped fish with success but it can be very stressful especially when dealing with a skittish fish like a Blueline angel. I am on my second dose with this fish. He is eating but not like he should be

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: