jacobchemical

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Awesome tank. If moving rocks is not an option try putting them in a new environment such as your sump or qt tank. Anything make the dominant one less territorial.

With maroons only two outcomes: one will kill the other or they bond no inbetween unless your tank is huge. I think you have hope. I don't think either of yours are female yet. But since they are so close in size it maybe difficult for one to establish dominance over the other. Try my suggestion it may take months if it doesn't work there are other things I have read but never tried.

QUOTE=chiromanta;1724819]BTW, my aquascape can't be changed because it glued and acrylic rode through all together. there are two large towers with an island in between
you can get an Idea from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5L2CVjubg

never mined the tank, it has been neglected for few weeks. Also, tank hosts a lot of other fish, so I dont think I can get a breedin pain out of those two clowns, but to have a mated pair would be nice.[/QUOTE]

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
hope is all I got. i will see how they will be doing in few days. may be other fish in the tank will keep them destructed from thinking of homicide. Although, one of them got a bed gene.
Can't we All get a lone? lol
The problem is feeding the week one. Much more food has to go to the system.
in my refugium it would be just one on one bull fight. death is inevitable in that situation.
No option for QT.
it is so strange, when they were in the harem they did not fight. I guess they were all scared. now they have a realstate to fight for....
thank you for your input. it gives me new ideas. may be I will glue a pic of a beautiful female maroon clown to the side of the tank to keep them busy. lol
Like a pic from playboy. lol

jacobchemical

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If you were to place them in your sump I would leave the dominant one"female" in the acclimation box and allow the "male" free in sump. (This would also let you see if the male is actually charging the acclimation box to exert dominanace over the other dominant one "female"-then you have a real problem) Then in two weeks i would release the "male" back in your DT and the a few days later release the female back in your DT and see what happens.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Lightnings

I had a lightning that I tried to pair with three separate Gold Nugget maroons. No luck the lightning was psychotic and attacked the nuggets relentlessly. I got a nano, equally sized, and a bigger nugget hoping the size differences would help but the lightning was just intent on killing them. I tried acclimation box together but separated, leaving the nugget in the tank and lightning in acclimation box. He would just attack the sides of the box if the nugget got close and the lightning could see him. I put the nugget in my home tank and hes fine with 11 other types of clowns. (oscellaris) the lightning will be the only clown in my work tank. Oh and Chiromanta the scloys and Trachy look great!!!

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Update.
Both made it a live. One hosts BTA, the other Dunken coral. no more fighting, but they do not bond. will they remain males for ever if there is no significant difference in size?

Well they are both juveniles so they will stay juveniles for about a year then if they have not paired they have a big chance of both becoming female then its very possible you will have fighting again its a waiting gave now 60-40 chance
they will try to pair up again if one becomes female before the other

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Well they are both juveniles so they will stay juveniles for about a year then if they have not paired they have a big chance of both becoming female then its very possible you will have fighting again its a waiting gave now 60-40 chance
they will try to pair up again if one becomes female before the other
Hi.
I believe they should be both males buy now. at some point one will turn in to female and other will remain male. they should not both turn in to female in the same time. nature does not make those mistakes. the question is: can they both remain males because they too close in size? Although one is definately more aggressive then the other. thank you for your time.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I had a lightning that I tried to pair with three separate Gold Nugget maroons. No luck the lightning was psychotic and attacked the nuggets relentlessly. I got a nano, equally sized, and a bigger nugget hoping the size differences would help but the lightning was just intent on killing them. I tried acclimation box together but separated, leaving the nugget in the tank and lightning in acclimation box. He would just attack the sides of the box if the nugget got close and the lightning could see him. I put the nugget in my home tank and hes fine with 11 other types of clowns. (oscellaris) the lightning will be the only clown in my work tank. Oh and Chiromanta the scloys and Trachy look great!!!
Thank you for your kind words about my corals.
Thanks God mine are not fighting any more. Although one is more aggressive and territorial. Can I add other type of clowns in to my system. I was thinking a pair of frostbites. I am also considering trading one of them for a larger lightning clown, so it would definitely be a female.
Thank you.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi.

I believe they should be both males buy now. at some point one will turn in to female and other will remain male. they should not both turn in to female in the same time. nature does not make those mistakes. the question is: can they both remain males because they too close in size? Although one is definately more aggressive then the other. thank you for your time.

If they are together then no but since they are hosting separately it is possible

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
In the wild since the babies swim to the light they get spread out and if they find something to host (and protect them then they have a higher chance of surviving
in your tank since the aggressor could not attack it gave up (possibly temporarily)
Now that you release both of them and they're both hosting separately it's very possible that they both will form separate families or they will once again see each other as competition

Last edited:

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I see. I have never thought of it.

What about introducing different species of clowns to the system. Maroons should not pair up with ocelaris? I want to have some clown variety in the tank.

Its possible (and i use the word possible very lightly) and more likely if its a different Genus for example skunk i have seen people do it with ocelarus (skunks need to be introduced first being they are very skittish)

Maroons and ocelarus is possible ora actually bred them (i think they are mules though) babies come out sterile (no grandchildren) again every fish is different (different attitudes) and they said it was very difficult to make it happen

Some species like clarks can have two females and one male regular pair the male turns into a female and a juvenile turns into a male also rare but possible

As someone else pointed out maroons are agresive and should be the only ones in the tank its also very possible once yours mature they will pair up or fight till the death

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Its possible (and i use the word possible very lightly) and more likely if its a different Genus for example skunk i have seen people do it with ocelarus (skunks need to be introduced first being they are very skittish)

Maroons and ocelarus is possible ora actually bred them (i think they are mules though) babies come out sterile (no grandchildren) again every fish is different (different attitudes) and they said it was very difficult to make it happen

Some species like clarks can have two females and one male regular pair the male turns into a female and a juvenile turns into a male also rare but possible

As someone else pointed out maroons are agresive and should be the only ones in the tank its also very possible once yours mature they will pair up or fight till the death
Thank you so much for the info.
I had large snowflake clown at the time I introduced maroons and he was killing them so, I had to let him go. and I almost bought small golden nugget today. I guess all that fish will need to wait.
How do you know If maroons are still juvenile or they turned to males?

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
I'll never learn

I saw a really nice lightning nano today so I grabbed him in the hopes of pairing with my super aggressive lightning. I brought the nano home and the resident clown was attacking him through the bag so in the acclimation box they went. Hope it works this time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: