marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First, to open a LFS takes a lot of capital and time to open, so it's not that easy to just open one because you can sell high end corals, but a lot of them are trying to carry high end and name corals, and fish for that matter, as there is a market out there looking for them. It's a lot easier to open an online place, and you'll find a lot of online places opening up selling these high end corals, and whether they're selling on ebay, FB, a reef board, or just through a website there isn't a storage of people buying from them. If the person selling the high end coral for a $1,000 couldn't get that price they would have started the price lower, but there are plenty of people willing to buy that coral, wouldn't surprise me if there isn't even a waiting list to buy it too. As for people trying to make a return on their money on the hobby, there are a bunch that try to do that, but the ones that do make money are few and far in between, as it's a game of being able to keep up with the demand of a certain coral before the next new thing comes along.

Actually the swap had over 300 people, which is a pretty good size considering that the location isn't that great for a large number of people. As for the Farmers Market having a big turn out, well when you charges vendors and people coming practically nothing to get in or setup a table you can expect that. For that price you'll have people that grow out corals, or usually just sell their over growth to people online, now for what the price of a table cost are willing to come to that swap. Change the price to a higher amount and see how many you get, I can guarantee you it would be a lot smaller, and these people will go back to selling online, where there is a large market for them to reach.

Last edited:

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Its just part of the trends of the hobby. When i first started out it was High end zoas going for 100 pp for red hornets. A few years later its high end chalices going for 1k for 1 eye and now its high end sps. I'm also not sure why that site has the price so high. I paid almost a quarter of that price for my piece.

Last edited:

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Not really on topic...

"Jason Fox doesn't have a store???" LOL that was me a few months ago

also
I hate when people post those pics with a black background, but its a dead giveaway that its PS enhanced

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very interesting that you said that because this is what the hobby is all about. Now your putting a price tag on swap. Farmers market is doing a great service for kids and the hobby. So this is now pricing up tables so not many true hobbyist go. You don't have to be a vendor only to sell or trade. It's about Community which I'm not seeing here.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Putting a price tag on the swap? No, I'm just explaining why certain swap are more attended then others. Price is everything, and if a venue had lower or higher costs their events would have to reflect these costs in what they need to charge, which in turn could also have an impact on turn out, it's no different than any other event in any other hobby. The Farmers Market is making money for their cause, and if it wasn't making enough they would have to raise prices or lower their costs, no different than other other person/place putting on an event.

As for cost of tables, space and demand are usually what determine them, then again at MR swaps members can and do sell and trade without a table, something that does happen at other swaps while at others it's not something that is allowed, but this goes for many other different events and industries. Then again if you ask a vendor if members should be able to sell without buying a table you would get a way different answer.

Speaking about community, do you know how many free corals and items that we give away at MR swaps?

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not understanding what you are saying. If the price of a table is high at an event. You said they be less tables. But I recall Reef Palooza was packed. Yet I heard they tables were very expensive. No low turn out there.....

Speaking about community, do you know how many free corals and items that we give away at MR swaps?

They is a door charge $20 and raffles. I wonder how much MR makes on that. So free....

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If the prices of tables are high that would cut out some of the lesser people/hobbyist that may buy a table, then again it matter which event it is now, as some are worth paying more for a table than others. It's all about supply and demand. As for Reef Palooza being was packed with vendors, well if you look at who was there it was the same traveling vendors and manufactures that do the other shows, plus some local people. They kept ticket prices down by charging the vendors more, which puts a lot of pressure on vendors to sell. Then you have the bigger manufactures who are just there to show their products and get their name out. It's nothing more than advertising costs for them. I can't comment on well attended it was, different stories from different people, but considering how much they put into advertising I hope for their sake it was.

The door charge is MR swap $20, actually I think it was $25, but that included $10 for food plus usually a couple of speakers. As for the raffle items, it's only as much as you want to put in, so if you don't put anything in it doesn't cost you anything. Then again nothing is free, including the cost for the room, tables, chairs, food, security guards, parking, supplies, putting up the guest speaker and the list goes on and on,funny how you left those things out....then again the board is free to use.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I got one WD at N.J. frag swap , i pay $ 600, pics. not good ,but look nicer every month.
i will never pay more than $ 100 for ANY smart phone.
I guess is just about test and pleasure , i got list 12 frags i pay more than $ 100 (about 1" up) i got around 20 (free frags from Tusi) after i lost my 220 Gal. tank, God bless him, first frag from my WD i will give to TUSI for................FREE. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 47

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: