reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The hobby isnt going anywhere it hasnt already been. There will be expensive pieces as there are expensove cars and expensove houses. Just because the bugatti veyron is stupidly expensove and way out of most peoples price range. It doesnt mean cars are soon all going to be selling for millions.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually the market is very big, as if it wasn't you wouldn't see these types of for sale threads, but you do all time and there isn't a shortage of sales being made. This is also true for skimmers, power heads, lighting, and the list goes on and on.

Stop! The market for high ends are not very big...if that was true name me a LFS that stocks these high ends. I can't even find a hawkin, pearl berry, red dragon, super blue Tenius at LFS. Now WD, Pink Cadillac are at your LFS.... Please tell me these stores that has this in there store. If the market was so big. Every LFS would sell them. You will have a few collectors that would spend money on high end SPS or whatever. But not a lot of people.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The market isn't that small, it's actually quite large and you have a lot of people out there looking for these corals. I was in two stores recently and both had high end corals, saw quite a number of bounce mushrooms, and if you check ebay or other websites you'll see a lot of places selling high end corals. Just look at what Jason Fox can sell online or at frag swaps, even the local PetCo by me has high end Clown fish. The market for high end corals, fish, and even equipment is quite large as everyone is looking for the next big thing to have in their tank, and for a lot of people price isn't any issue, even though for some it should be.

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I know several clients that would and have purchased lots of high end corals like this. It is all about supply and demand. Stores won't typically carry high end corals because there is no wholesale market for them and they aren't equipped with grow outs. Certain store owners that I know of are stepping their games up and do have grow out systems others aren't even hobbiests. Really it comes down to the economics of what you can sell. That is why the online market is booming and I don't see the trend in 'naming' corals and high prices going anywhere. Even importers are taking notice and searching for more "rare" corals and those prices are reflective of this.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
nowadays, there's tons of Instagram and FB based stores. question is, how much photoshop do they all use. I know people who would buy this just to say "I got the Walt Disney Sps and dropped a G on it!!". like they say ...." do it for the gram" (instagram)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Marron......The market isn't that small, it's actually quite large and you have a lot of people out there looking for these corals.

They are online sites that carry a better section and aquaculture high ends. But if the demand was so big like you say. There be a new LFS opening everyday selling these high ends. Yes, I know a few places trying to grow and name the so call high ends. Simply because they at a cross road trying to bring business since online is where it's at. But saying they a large market is wrong. Today everybody looking to find a cheaper store to buy fish and coral. Now your saying they a Large demand on $1,000 for 1/2"coral....They are people that collect rare corals and try to turn it over to return money for they hobby. Wasn't a big turn out at swap this year, but bet you farmers market will be a big turn out. Wonder why?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: