nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Hello,

I am thinking of going with WB 7000 pump for my 180G. Any comments ? What are the pros and cons of this pump ? Or any other recommendations ? Much appreciated your help.

Thanks

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
We carry the Jecod DCS and DCP line of pumps if you want something with similar performance specs and less power consumption and costs less. Personally I haven't used that particular Coral Vue pump before but have a good relationship with them and would be happy to get you pricing for that model if you would like.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You should be looking for a pump that gives you 3-6x the display tank volume going through sump per hour. The wb 7000 will be giving you over 10x, at let's say 6 feet head height.
Not a dc pump so not power output adjustable. At that price you can easily find a dc pump. With an ac pump you can put a valve to cut down the flow, but then its a guess as to how much gph, and it still is cranking 80watts of heat into tank.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks. I am planning to T ing to connect the cooler and may be couple of reactors. So what would be your recommendations.

Thanks.

You should be looking for a pump that gives you 3-6x the display tank volume going through sump per hour. The wb 7000 will be giving you over 10x, at let's say 6 feet head height.
Not a dc pump so not power output adjustable. At that price you can easily find a dc pump. With an ac pump you can put a valve to cut down the flow, but then its a guess as to how much gph, and it still is cranking 80watts of heat into tank.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Sure. Thanks. Will let you know once I decide with the pump.

We carry the Jecod DCS and DCP line of pumps if you want something with similar performance specs and less power consumption and costs less. Personally I haven't used that particular Coral Vue pump before but have a good relationship with them and would be happy to get you pricing for that model if you would like.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks. I am planning to T ing to connect the cooler and may be couple of reactors. So what would be your recommendations.

Thanks.
Would recommend running a separate pump for return so you know gph going through sump. Once you start tee-ing off and adding valves, then every time you adjust one valve you change the output on all things attached to that pump.
Also think, unless you're running metal halide lights, you can get away without running a chiller in most cases, if you keep your house relatively comfy year round and don't oversize pumps.
Would say a Jacob 12000 would be perfect at speed 4 or 5. Have them running on many tanks for years without issue. Quiet, and cool.

Last edited:

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks. I did consider Jacob 12000. But I thought WB 7000 would be quieter. I am planning to run MH lights. So am planning to run a chiller.
Thanks again.

Would recommend running a separate pump for return so you know gph going through sump. Once you start tee-ing off and adding valves, then every time you adjust one valve you change the output on all things attached to that pump.
Also think, unless you're running metal halide lights, you can get away without running a chiller in most cases, if you keep your house relatively comfy year round and don't oversize pumps.
Would say a Jacob 12000 would be perfect at speed 4 or 5. Have them running on many tanks for years without issue. Quiet, and cool.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
And planning to go with this skimmer .... Coral Vue Technology AC20287 Octopus Needle Wheel Skimmer ... If that maters for the pump selection ...

Thanks

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
reef octopus or vortec omega would be my first choice

Not sure of that coralvue skimmers spec's, but would recommend that whatever skimmer you get that processes around the same gph that goes through sump, maybe a lil less. And if you're going with bio pellet reactor, maybe a lil more.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks. This makes sense.

Thanks.

reef octopus or vortec omega would be my first choice

Not sure of that coralvue skimmers spec's, but would recommend that whatever skimmer you get that processes around the same gph that goes through sump, maybe a lil less. And if you're going with bio pellet reactor, maybe a lil more.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
They're close enough that it's not an issue. Just look at and compare their flow charts. Also, don't trust any manufacturers claims, except maybe eheim, because they all over exaggerate their product's performance. Coralvue is at the top of the list of offenders. Which in no way means their stuff is crap, because that's far from the truth. The same way a jecod/jebao is crap because it's half the price, because that's not true neither. As far as quiet and reliability, I'd rate them the same, but your money.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I was comparing a WB 7000 to a comparable sized Jecod, not a 7000 Lph pump to a 12000 Lph pump.
I can tell you first hand that a 10000 Lph Water Blaster AC pump has better head pressure and roughly 1/3rd more flow then a 12000 Lph Jebao DC pump.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was comparing a WB 7000 to a comparable sized Jecod, not a 7000 Lph pump to a 12000 Lph pump.
I can tell you first hand that a 10000 Lph Water Blaster AC pump has better head pressure and roughly 1/3rd more flow then a 12000 Lph Jebao DC pump.
The wb7000 and jebao 12000 are comparable because they both use the same wattage. Think wb is 88 watts, and the jebao like 85. They're also comparable in terms of heat, noise, and reliability. Althou I'd suspect jebao edges out as better, and at half the price it's a no brainier.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks to both of you ! So it is not advisable to T the return regardless of the pump I go with ?
Lotsa ppl do it, and it looks cool, but if you want to be sure of how many gph go through sump, and that it stays consistent regardless of what flow that any other things like uv, reactors, etc are getting, not.
Any pump has a level of output. If you change/adjust the output on any of the valves that are connected to a given pump, it will also effect/change the output on all other items running off that pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: