FishyLovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok so I travel a lot and the 1 thing that I find challenging is finding someone to feed my tank while I'm away. Which got me thinking- is there a way that I could make my tank self sufficient for a period of time? Like are there a mix of live foods I can dump into my tank for my fish to live off for, like 1-2 weeks without feeding them?
My tank is 36 gallons, with 3 clowns, an anemone, some xenias and a leather coral. Note that I don't use a sump tank, but I would consider adding a hang-on-back refugium.

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
a controller.
I use a reef angel but I am sure an apex would do it too.

Feeding time is 7:30am and 6:00pm. Return and skimmer turns off, wave makers go down to 30% in a long pulse fashion, auto feeder activates at 120 seconds, then again at 60 seconds. this happens for 15 minutes each time.

Thats just an example. I adjust my wave patterns multiple times a day to mimic the tides, monitor my temps, turn fans on/off dependant on the canopy heat, pump in water when it goes low, etc..

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The e are auto feeders that work great with dry foods, but I'm not aware of any for frozen foods.
From the livestock you describe, you could feed dry food for 3 week spans no problem. Would think you'd need some type of auto top off for that long a span as well

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I guess you haven't heard of an automatic fish feeder and an auto water top off . Oh, and timers

Last edited:

FishyLovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know I can use a controller- but that's a really pricey option. I've tried using auto fish feeders and haven't had good experiences, sometimes they overfeed and when I come back my tank is dirty and the nitrates/nitrates are through the roof. Other times I come back and most of the food is still in the auto feeder.
I'm hoping I can find some creative solution-like putting in cope pods, live mysis or brine, which would be a renewable source of food for my fish.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Pricey? Let someone keep your fish in that case. That's like leaving a dozen open cans of dog food for the dog in the basement.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I know I can use a controller- but that's a really pricey option. I've tried using auto fish feeders and haven't had good experiences, sometimes they overfeed and when I come back my tank is dirty and the nitrates/nitrates are through the roof. Other times I come back and most of the food is still in the auto feeder.
I'm hoping I can find some creative solution-like putting in cope pods, live mysis or brine, which would be a renewable source of food for my fish.
Pellets are much more reliable and predictable in an auto feeder. Flakes do just as you describe

Pods are a good source but without a separate fuge, a safe place away from feeding mouths, they get consumed faster than they can breed.

I would not starve my fish for 2 weeks

A controller is a good investment. It's worth it alone, simply for the safety of having it control your heater. Plus then you can have a fan controlled by the same temp sensor if need be, it can act as light or pump timer, etc. I know apex is the rave, popular choice. I liken it to a $300 pair of sneakers for someone who doesn't even play sports. You can get a digital aquatics reef keeper basic for around $120 that will do all the things described above, plus. But it will do nothing to feed your fish.

Last edited:

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Check out this auto feeder. Best feeder I found. Feeds exactly what you want, how much you want each time and great price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...=N7924PW096A2D9A0FHCB&dpPl=1&dpID=41zUtrcjW8L

Check out this auto feeder. Best feeder I found. Feeds exactly what you want, how much you want each time and great price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...=N7924PW096A2D9A0FHCB&dpPl=1&dpID=41zUtrcjW8L

That is a pretty neat feeder, probably the best option for a small tank such as yours.

The Eheim auto feeder is also good, I've honestly neglected my tank since starting nursing school and the auto feeder has been keeping the fish alive all on its own. It feeds 3 times a day, just a small amount of 1mm NLS pellets and I refill it maybe weekly if not less often. I also have a controller but honestly it's just an organized timer at this point so as much as it does make life convenient, it is not the ultimate plug and play automation solution. Not to mention, the Neptune auto feeder is probably the worse out there from my experience.

BTW, for those of you who are being sarcastic in your replies...if you don't have any positive and useful advice to give, there's no point of posting at all, just saying

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
That is a pretty neat feeder, probably the best option for a small tank such as yours.

The Eheim auto feeder is also good, I've honestly neglected my tank since starting nursing school and the auto feeder has been keeping the fish alive all on its own. It feeds 3 times a day, just a small amount of 1mm NLS pellets and I refill it maybe weekly if not less often. I also have a controller but honestly it's just an organized timer at this point so as much as it does make life convenient, it is not the ultimate plug and play automation solution. Not to mention, the Neptune auto feeder is probably the worse out there from my experience.

BTW, for those of you who are being sarcastic in your replies...if you don't have any positive and useful advice to give, there's no point of posting at all, just saying

fortunato your'e right, there used to be hard cubes that were time release food petland used to sell them that might be an option to auto feeders

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Oh, and another thing. This feeder slowly drops the food, so the fishes gets a chance to finish all, will not pollute your water. And can feed up to two weeks period. I don't know how your set up is. I just put it on top of my canopy where there's a small one inch hole where the food drops down. I refill it every two weeks. Only need to Target feed my eel, I never need to feed my fishes. All your fishes can be on dry food diet, I don't see an issue there.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It is hard to find live food that will support a full population of fish for a couple of weeks. My tank always has a large population of amphipods in it that I collect. (I also live in New York) They have been living and breeding since last year.

Here is a video. I collect large numbers of these and dump them in my tank a few times a year.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: