Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Just watched a great documentary using time lapse photography to capture coral die off. They provided a couple of visual aids, which show the annual water temperature for the past 50 years and the projected future temperature for the next 25 years, indicating corals reefs as an ecosystem would probably be gone within our lifetime. Extrapolation were also made for how many people are dependent on the oceans as a food source, and reefs account for 1/4 of the oceans productivity. A must watch.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80168...,96a428fa-4345-4040-b1d3-967556b6f602-4946611

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It kills me when people, media, tries to come across as smart and informative and they're dead wrong. Do they not see the tell tail signs for what the climate will do?
The pacific and Atlantic have entered a cool phase which will last another 20-30 years, and we're having the lowest solar cycle since the little ice age. Summertime melt has returned to average, and Greenland ice sheet is breaking records for growth. Sea temps are declining rapidly on much of the planet while c02 continues to climb

This a NASA vid, pretty cool, watch it
http://https://youtu.be/EEFQHDSYP1I

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just watched it myself. It was very interesting. The fact whether its true or not of global warming. Great Barrier Reef has taken a very hard hit. If it recovers or not we must start becoming more aware of what we are doing. Including how much fish and coral we removing from ocean. Because aquaculture is the way this hobby should be going. I hope that the our oceans are getting cooler. Because our ecosystem is very important.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
It kills me when people, media, tries to come across as smart and informative and they're dead wrong. Do they not see the tell tail signs for what the climate will do?
The pacific and Atlantic have entered a cool phase which will last another 20-30 years, and we're having the lowest solar cycle since the little ice age. Summertime melt has returned to average, and Greenland ice sheet is breaking records for growth. Sea temps are declining rapidly on much of the planet while c02 continues to climb

This a NASA vid, pretty cool, watch it
http://https://youtu.be/EEFQHDSYP1I
it kills me that there are people that still don't believe that our oceans are dying just look around and and keep telling yourself that its not happening and maybe the great barrier reef and most of the reefs around the world will stop bleaching out

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
it kills me that there are people that still don't believe that our oceans are dying just look around and and keep telling yourself that its not happening and maybe the great barrier reef and most of the reefs around the world will stop bleaching out

Never said the oceans weren't dying. What I said was c02 is not driving the climate. Never has, and is not now. Look up "800 year lag", Milankovitch cycles, and solar cycles, to name a few actual climate drivers. Then if nothing else you'll be better informed.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I guess, the Chinese made this up right?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
poking fun and labeling people does not help your cause, and certainly is not a way to share information. It's laughable that the Chinese made it up, but factual that al gore, a politician, brought it to the mainstream big time. As well hardly coincidence that one of his professors was Roger Revelle, who stole someone's idea, c02 driving climate, and built a career on it.

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok, here's what I think.

Your argument of C02 not being a cause of climate change at all, is flawed to say the less. Let say for argument sake we take "800 year lag" at its face value. You can not just dismiss that C02 being a potential cause of climate change, just because it didn't initially cause the temperature to rise. Its like saying, car accidents has been happening since the beginning of automotive transportation. Drinking and driving didn't create car accidents, therefore it doesn't change the amount of car accidents.

You also said "people, media... they're dead wrong" but it is recognized by 18 different scientific association and societies, including NASA. Researches have been done and cross -examined by peer reviews. So you're saying that hundreds or thousands of scientist are all wrong and are all part of this thing a politician create for his purpose.

On top of the fact that if you google the 800 year lag, you will find the NY times article regarding the research paper of Fr?d?ric Parrenin. Stating that there are discoveries that the lag is actually much shorter, and that the the previous may not be accurate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/s...maller-gap-in-warming-and-carbon-dioxide.html

also NASA's dedicated site to Climate Change displaying their studies.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Yes, we should take everything with a grain of salt. Lets say for argument sake they're all wrong. That its only a slight chance that C02 is part of the problem are you willing to bet on it not causing an irreversible effects? Is it not more irresponsible, to tell people its not a problem. To ignore this and continue doing whatever we want and just let happen without conclusive evidence.

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
It's hard to watch and they do touch on the fact that in addition to a large portion of Americans (seems to just be us here in the states) that don't think climate change is real, most people just simply don't realize the significance of the loss of this massive ecosystem. They made a good point, if huge portions of the worlds forests started dying off in a matter of weeks, people would look at this much differently (at least I hope)

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ok, here's what I think.

Your argument of C02 not being a cause of climate change at all, is flawed to say the less. Let say for argument sake we take "800 year lag" at its face value. You can not just dismiss that C02 being a potential cause of climate change, just because it didn't initially cause the temperature to rise. Its like saying, car accidents has been happening since the beginning of automotive transportation. Drinking and driving didn't create car accidents, therefore it doesn't change the amount of car accidents.

You also said "people, media... they're dead wrong" but it is recognized by 18 different scientific association and societies, including NASA. Researches have been done and cross -examined by peer reviews. So you're saying that hundreds or thousands of scientist are all wrong and are all part of this thing a politician create for his purpose.

On top of the fact that if you google the 800 year lag, you will find the NY times article regarding the research paper of Fr?d?ric Parrenin. Stating that there are discoveries that the lag is actually much shorter, and that the the previous may not be accurate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/s...maller-gap-in-warming-and-carbon-dioxide.html

also NASA's dedicated site to Climate Change displaying their studies.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Yes, we should take everything with a grain of salt. Lets say for argument sake they're all wrong. That its only a slight chance that C02 is part of the problem are you willing to bet on it not causing an irreversible effects? Is it not more irresponsible, to tell people its not a problem. To ignore this and continue doing whatever we want and just let happen without conclusive evidence.
No I don't think we should do whatever we want. Have also learned that people who feel strongly about this aren't going to recognize any conflicting info or facts. Sorta like religious freaks. But I will give it a try and maybe if not you, someone will learn something they didn't know before. I have no interests in oil or any fossil fuels for that matter. Believe we are screwing up the planet to the point of self destruction, and I'm also about as liberal as they come. If that helps you to digest anything I'm going to share here.

We are currently in an ice age. The Holocene ice age. Within this Holocene we are enjoying an interglacial period. Throughout this Holocene glacial periods have lasted around 100,000 years. Interglacials last around 11,500 years. Our current interglacial started around 11,500 years ago. This is controlled by the earth orbit and tilt, has nothing to do with us.
Don't believe me look it up. Milankovitch cycle shows and proves it, and he figured it out a century ago. This is not a hoax or fake science. There are some debatable aspects, mostly because of other planets gravitational pull and other slight variables. But this is pretty much rock solid science, completely provable thou all sorts of corresponding data, and completely excepted by everyone. Unlike the c02 is going to drive the climate for the first time ever. Even thou c02 has been way higher than it is now and didn't have that effect.

C02 is not a deadly killer. We need it to live, and plants need it to grow. People spend their entire career working in greenhouses that pump up the c02 to 1,200 ppm, instead of the omg 400 ppm we are at now, with no ill effects.

The atmosphere, air, is made up of 3% c02. Man's input is 3% into that 3% total.
So .03 x .03 = .0009. That's, man's input out of 100.00% of the atmosphere, as far as c02 is .0009
Then add to that that the earth's oceans can absorb or release 50 times more c02 than everything above them. Including,...Air, trees, dirt, cars, houses, upper atmosphere, you get the point, everything.
So man's input to c02 in our atmosphere is .0009 on one fiftieth the equation. Exaggerate the #s to .04 and it's still a ridiculously low percentage/impact.

Just in this interglacial there have been periods that were much warmer, and warmer for longer than it is now. Way before people started using fossil fuels. Don't believe me, look it up. Which brings up the 800 year lag. The medieval warm period was winding down 800 years ago. So the oceans which control the climate in a big way, and release c02 when warmer, should be where they are now.
To comment on your nyt article/theory... The warmer it gets the harder it is to get warmer. Same thing with cold. This is simple physics. The 800 year lag has been widely expected to be more like 500-800, but again the warmer it gets, the longer it takes for the oceans to respond.

People do better when the climate is warmer. You can clearly follow historical events throughout human existence and see prosperity when warmer, and decline when colder.

If you look back 100, 130 years you can see that climate has gone up along with c02. If you look back a lil longer, like 4 or 500 years you see that's not the case. If you look back much further, like throu this entire interglacial, you see that we are on a cooling trend.

All the climate models have been wrong. Way, dead wrong.

In closing I can say that I've been around long enough to remember in the late 70s when all the "scientists" we're warning of the coming ice age. Because we were at the end of a cool phase of the Pacific. Now at the end of a warm phase and it's global warming. Which has since had a name change, to climate change, after a 15 pause in rising temps, while c02 continued to climb. Have always been interested in the climate/weather and ironically after researching to know more, and what I was talking about when trying to support the gw craze that was happening, had my mind changed by reality, history, and facts.
This gw, people can control the climate nonsense will go down in history, with things like... The sun goes around earth, the earth is flat, bleeding people as a cure, burning witches, saying trump can't/won't get elected.....

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
themeat, wrote..We are currently in an ice age. The Holocene ice age. Within this Holocene we are enjoying an interglacial period. Throughout this Holocene glacial periods have lasted around 100,000 years. Interglacials last around 11,500 years. Our current interglacial started around 11,500 years ago. This is controlled by the earth orbit and tilt, has nothing to do with us.

I don't know the true cause of what is happening. I'm no scientist. But we are losing coral from around the world and Great Barrier is dying. They dying because of warmer oceans. If this is an ice age? And still the oceans are getting warmer, than in less than 20 years we will have know reefs. Alaska ice is melting and we are in an ice age. Where is this ice age? Because the corals are not enjoying it......

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
themeat, wrote..we are currently in an ice age. The holocene ice age. Within this holocene we are enjoying an interglacial period. Throughout this holocene glacial periods have lasted around 100,000 years. Interglacials last around 11,500 years. Our current interglacial started around 11,500 years ago. This is controlled by the earth orbit and tilt, has nothing to do with us.

I don't know the true cause of what is happening. I'm no scientist. But we are losing coral from around the world and great barrier is dying. They dying because of warmer oceans. If this is an ice age? And still the oceans are getting warmer, than in less than 20 years we will have know reefs. Alaska ice is melting and we are in an ice age. Where is this ice age? Because the corals are not enjoying it......
+1

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
for the last 10 years or so we are having record setting temperatures on a regular basis icebergs the size of small states are braking off and still people are saying that there is no global warming i'm also not a scientist but for crying out loud wake up and smell the carbon dioxide

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The last generation fought for civil rights, women's rights, and many other worthy causes.
This generation wants to up the antie and save the whole planet. A worthy cause, and with such a careless history well overdue. Many good things will come from such a well intended movement, but controlling the climate in any measurable way isn't going to be one of them.
Now people, lets get real, and get back to your reef tanks that're filled with stuff plucked from nature while consuming electric 24/7 and using up other recourse for your enjoyment

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
themeat, wrote..We are currently in an ice age. The Holocene ice age. Within this Holocene we are enjoying an interglacial period. Throughout this Holocene glacial periods have lasted around 100,000 years. Interglacials last around 11,500 years. Our current interglacial started around 11,500 years ago. This is controlled by the earth orbit and tilt, has nothing to do with us.

I don't know the true cause of what is happening. I'm no scientist. But we are losing coral from around the world and Great Barrier is dying. They dying because of warmer oceans. If this is an ice age? And still the oceans are getting warmer, than in less than 20 years we will have know reefs. Alaska ice is melting and we are in an ice age. Where is this ice age? Because the corals are not enjoying it......
It should be noted that what I said is not completely correct. I said Holocene was our current ice age to try and keep it simple. We are actually in the Pliocene-Quanternary ice age which started 2.8 million years ago. Holocene is the current interglacial period within that ice age. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
It amazes me that with all our so called advancement and self proclaimed smarts that we can't have an open conversation without name calling, labeling, and having emotion overtake reason and reality. It's like a modern day witch hunt I tell ya

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
No I don't think we should do whatever we want. Have also learned that people who feel strongly about this aren't going to recognize any conflicting info or facts. Sorta like religious freaks. But I will give it a try and maybe if not you, someone will learn something they didn't know before. I have no interests in oil or any fossil fuels for that matter. Believe we are screwing up the planet to the point of self destruction, and I'm also about as liberal as they come. If that helps you to digest anything I'm going to share here.

We are currently in an ice age. The Holocene ice age. Within this Holocene we are enjoying an interglacial period. Throughout this Holocene glacial periods have lasted around 100,000 years. Interglacials last around 11,500 years. Our current interglacial started around 11,500 years ago. This is controlled by the earth orbit and tilt, has nothing to do with us.
Don't believe me look it up. Milankovitch cycle shows and proves it, and he figured it out a century ago. This is not a hoax or fake science. There are some debatable aspects, mostly because of other planets gravitational pull and other slight variables. But this is pretty much rock solid science, completely provable thou all sorts of corresponding data, and completely excepted by everyone. Unlike the c02 is going to drive the climate for the first time ever. Even thou c02 has been way higher than it is now and didn't have that effect.

C02 is not a deadly killer. We need it to live, and plants need it to grow. People spend their entire career working in greenhouses that pump up the c02 to 1,200 ppm, instead of the omg 400 ppm we are at now, with no ill effects.

The atmosphere, air, is made up of 3% c02. Man's input is 3% into that 3% total.
So .03 x .03 = .0009. That's, man's input out of 100.00% of the atmosphere, as far as c02 is .0009
Then add to that that the earth's oceans can absorb or release 50 times more c02 than everything above them. Including,...Air, trees, dirt, cars, houses, upper atmosphere, you get the point, everything.
So man's input to c02 in our atmosphere is .0009 on one fiftieth the equation. Exaggerate the #s to .04 and it's still a ridiculously low percentage/impact.

Just in this interglacial there have been periods that were much warmer, and warmer for longer than it is now. Way before people started using fossil fuels. Don't believe me, look it up. Which brings up the 800 year lag. The medieval warm period was winding down 800 years ago. So the oceans which control the climate in a big way, and release c02 when warmer, should be where they are now.
To comment on your nyt article/theory... The warmer it gets the harder it is to get warmer. Same thing with cold. This is simple physics. The 800 year lag has been widely expected to be more like 500-800, but again the warmer it gets, the longer it takes for the oceans to respond.

People do better when the climate is warmer. You can clearly follow historical events throughout human existence and see prosperity when warmer, and decline when colder.

If you look back 100, 130 years you can see that climate has gone up along with c02. If you look back a lil longer, like 4 or 500 years you see that's not the case. If you look back much further, like throu this entire interglacial, you see that we are on a cooling trend.

All the climate models have been wrong. Way, dead wrong.

In closing I can say that I've been around long enough to remember in the late 70s when all the "scientists" we're warning of the coming ice age. Because we were at the end of a cool phase of the Pacific. Now at the end of a warm phase and it's global warming. Which has since had a name change, to climate change, after a 15 pause in rising temps, while c02 continued to climb. Have always been interested in the climate/weather and ironically after researching to know more, and what I was talking about when trying to support the gw craze that was happening, had my mind changed by reality, history, and facts.
This gw, people can control the climate nonsense will go down in history, with things like... The sun goes around earth, the earth is flat, bleeding people as a cure, burning witches, saying trump can't/won't get elected.....

Let me just point out that I have not once argued with the Milankovitch cycle or Ice age, etc. So lets put the Ice age and impending doom aside and lets concentrate on CO2 alone for a min.

My argument is against the belief that CO2 has no relation AT ALL with climate change and has NO harm to us or any living organism.
I am not sure if your expressed percentage is correct, but lets assume that all of the information you provided is correct. I assume you're talking about the percentage compared to the atmosphere as a whole.

First off you cannot dispute that the level of CO2 is wildly higher in concentrated areas of the world. You argue that the percentage we experience now does not cause adverse effect on living beings is definitely incorrect, but if you look locally in the Bronx. Many educational institutions have conducted studies and linked the high rate of asthma in the residents and their distance to the freeway. These freeway with thousands for motor vehicles on it everyday, has released such high levels of CO2 in areas of the Bronx. Through statistical analysis they have linked the distance, amount of vehicular traffic to increase cases of asthma. This is only one of many cases and studies that have link air pollution to health consequences. These aren't "fake" or "dead wrong" CO2

Secondly, you're constantly arguing that the temperature has shown signs of low point and/or has been rising with or without human intervention. This may be true but that does NOT negate the fact that it's still happening. Lets use our aquarium as an example, since we are on a reef forum. If there is a fluctuation in temperature in your aquarium one day, and you weren't able to pinpoint the source. Then the tank returns to normal operation for the next 3 days, is there not a worry that the temperature incident will happen again? Will you not monitor your tank more closely, in order to find the source? Is that to say you didn't have a problem to begin with, and it's just how the aquarium was suppose to be? Lets say that this repeats itself every so often and you finally have a general idea what's causing it. Lets say its a pump. Would you ignore it and tell yourself, this pump has worked for me since the beginning and temperature swings in aquariums are normal. That the pump isn't constantly causing heat issue and nothing died yet. Its definitely NOT a problem and won't kill anything so I'll leave the pump in. I bet the first thing you do will be to throw that pump out the window, in fear that it will one day become constant heating issue.

Lets just say CO2 doesn't cause an expedited Ice age, doesn't mean it doesn't affect living organisms.

You said that since the 70s all the models have been wrong, that may very well be true. Maybe all the current models are wrong, but how will we ever find out if it is, if we don't try? If everyone put their efforts to reduce our carbon footprint for 50 years and it results in no positive benefit what did we lose? Conversely if we don't do it but in 50 years we discover that all this was true, what would we do then? It's like having insurance, you don't know something is going to happen. What if it does? 50 years may seem like a long time for us as an individual but it's definitely insignificant when it comes to such a large scale study.

You say that "people who feel strongly about this aren't going to recognize any conflicting info or facts" and I totally agree. Our society has created a huge avoidance from debate, leading people to staying within groups that agree with their own theory/beliefs. If anything this debate has forced me to research, look up, and reaffirmed my belief. There are many models and study that points to CO2 and the adverse affects on our environment, but few creditable source that support your claim. So aren't you one of the "people who feel strongly about this" and "aren't going to recognize any conflicting info or facts"?

You also stated that "factual that al gore, a politician, brought it to the mainstream big time" in defense to my joke about "the chinese made it up". Implying he (One man) was the one that create this whole "climate change" theory. That is way more ridiculous than saying the "chinese" made it up. Why would dozens of other countries care about Al Gore and want to corroborate with his theory?

I will also like to note that "wikipedia" is not a creditable source for information, since everyone (even a 5 year old) can post/edit the information, as long as they have access to a computer. It is good to find the basic idea but not a proven idea.

So I hold firm on my belief that writing CO2 off as "NOT" a problem "AT ALL" is irresponsible.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Didn't think I was going to change your mind, just sharing information. If you can share some that'd be great.

Never said c02 has no effect at all. Only pointed out how much effect we have.

Studies of people living in crowded cities or near highways shows no correlation to c02 because there are hundreds of other pollutants involved.

Trying to draw parallels between the climate and our fish tanks is fun but I mean really.

"Let's just say c02 doesn't cause an expedited ice age" I'm sorry, idk what that means or where you got it from so can't comment.

Didn't say the model were wrong since the 70's. Because the models came later than that. The models are wrong because you get out what you put in, and they were biased from the beginning. Now it's history that they were wrong.

Yeah i said that people who feel strongly about this aren't likely to listen to conflicting info or fact. Sorta like religious freaks. Case in point. How can you say that it may be true that temps have gone up and down without human intervention? Or say there's no data to support my side of the argument. I guess if you disregard all the proven historical facts that date back billions of years

Yes saying the Chinese or al gore made it up is ridiculous. With that said if you you don't think one of gore's college professors, roger Revelle, was huge in bringing gw to the mainstream, and al gore getting in when momentum was picking up on this movement as the environmental hero at just the right time to make a huge impact, than your just not paying attention.

Thanks for pointing out that Wikipedia can be altered by a 5 yo. My point was that we are in an ice age and people even want to argue that. Wikipedia makes it pretty obvious that it is understood and widely excepted yes, even a 5yo. Yet people who pretend to be passionate about this subject don't know that and most don't have a clue about much of the climate and what drives it. They just want to feel better or good about themselves like they're making a difference while they live in their oversized climate controlled boxes, and drive a multi thousand pound car a few blocks to get 5 pounds of groceries

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: