nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
just brought these 2

BVJ-91996 ORA - Ponape Birdsnest Coral, Aquacultured ORA®, Qty:1, Price: $54.99 each = $54.99

BVJ-88177 ORA - Micronesian Torch Coral, Aquacultured ORA ?, Qty:1, Price: $49.99 each = $49.99

and a bubble tip anemone green for 39.99

is it a a rip off, compared to LFS SALES or on this forum sales .
any pros and cons for ORA?

i am just new please dont bash me !

fireshark02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Very high unfortunately, ponape goes for very cheap. Torch depends on the color and amount of heads of course. GBTA a little high depending on the size. Browse through past sales to gauge market value.

I dont normally look for ORA so I'm not familiar with all the pros. You have better survival rate I believe and lineage. I'm sure other people can chime in.

I don't normally buy corals through websites unless a live sale is going on. Cherry corals is having a good one Saturday on reef to reef. Check it out

fireshark02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Its happen to us all. Remember just because its on sale doesnt mean its a good price.

Many members have had corals in their systems for years and are very hardy. Try browsing the marketplace and see what pops up

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The prices that you listed are the regular prices and not the sales price, unless you used the 20% coupon that has been going around. Plus you're getting a 14 day guarantee, something that you don't get from LFS or from buying from a hobbyist, so you're paying for protection in case the coral/fish dies.

As for ORA, well all of their corals and fish are capture bred, which is a very good thing. Because they're capture bred most are hardy, though some have been out for sometime now so a lot of people have frags or even colonies for sale at this point. Price wise they're, ORA, about what other capture bred companies charge.

You're probably paying too much for a frag of Ponape Birdsnest, as that has been around for quite sometime now. As for the torch, depending on the amount of heads that you're getting it's not that bad of a price.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I find the corals very expensive compared to fellow reeefer frag prices and even more expensive than lfs. But i have ordered all my fish from them and they are cleeeean. They say of their fish have been in their system for a while feed and dewormed etc. So i take it they are some what quarantined.

I wait when they offer 25% when u purchase over said amount... or they offer gift cards etc etc and overnight shipping is free after $99. So if you wait for the 25% discount sale and only shop the fish that are on sale its a steal! I order today and tomorrow by 1030am im acclimating.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
...But i have ordered all my fish from them and they are cleeeean. They say of their fish have been in their system for a while feed and dewormed etc. So i take it they are some what quarantined.

This is absolutely untrue in regards to LiveAquaria fish...they are shipped directly from a wholesaler...Divers Den fish are shipped from the LiveAquaria facility in Wisconsin, and are 'some what' quarantined.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Its Blue zoo that does the quarantine, and divers den. I thought i read on live aquaria that they do somekind of holding and feeding but cant find it now. Blue zoo seems to deworm and quarentine. But then again... who knows...

Blue Zoo Difference

Health of Marine Life:

Our curators personally select only the healthiest livestock which are then treated in our medicated quarantine system to remove parasites and reduce stress. Strict husbandry procedures are followed at all times to ensure optimum health of our livestock.

Extensive Selection:

We have teamed up with the most innovative, quality conscious and established suppliers in the industry to offer one of the largest selections of livestock on the internet, as well as the best possible care options for your aquarium

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i have never gotten fish from blue zoo what are your experiences. i have had fish die from divers den as well but my kole tang i got a month ago from la is the bomb

1QuickSubaru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
FYI some LFS quarantine fish as well... vendors like new york reef aquatic has a huge qt system in their basement... prices are around or slightly less than live aquaria and you don't have to pay for shipping and get your fish same day lol

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Just got off phone with Live Aquaria. Divers Den get full QT and cleaning. Non diver's den get 2 weeks qt and wont ship if any signs of issue. They also ensure fish eats.

Have had no issues with blue zoo their packaging is much better than live aquaria they send free drip acclimation system with every order. And both ship for free after $99 or $140.

Bluezoo no tax Liveaquaria tax.

I honestly can not drive around to every fish store in ny (would spend most time in traffic) looking for a particular fish. If their were a way that i could easily look online to know what fish the local lfs have and do not have while also allowing me to buy it immediately for pick up later....

i would never order online again.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
It is simple to know its in stock click buy and recieve at ur front door next day. Complicated to drive in traffic only to not find what your looking for.

If fish arrives stressed or not eating... sick etc... full refund. That simple.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is simple to know its in stock click buy and recieve at ur front door next day. Complicated to drive in traffic only to not find what your looking for.

If fish arrives stressed or not eating... sick etc... full refund. That simple.

Sounds like you use mail order brides .com lol

On a serious note though, it seems like most LFS are running away from saltwater stock nowadays so maybe mailorderbride is pretty much the only way to buy hassle free fish, and with the traffic all these empty uber cars are causing in our already packed city.

Last edited:

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Sounds like you use mail order brides .com lol

On a serious note though, it seems like most LFS are running away from saltwater stock nowadays so maybe mailorderbride is pretty much the only way to buy hassle free fish, and with the traffic all these empty uber cars are causing in our already packed city.

Exaclty. The op wanted to know about coral prices at live aquuaria. My 2 cents is that im happy with fish orders but corals nothing beats buying frags from the reefers here on MR.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Best to buy frags from fellow members, healthier and cheaper :)

Best to QT all fish.

But if you can't QT, then liveaquaria divers den is the best from my experience.

The only local fish store I've seen with healthy disease free fish is Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ.

My 2 cents...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: