jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As someone earlier said, there are allot of variables that the original question doesn't give a definite answer to.

OP says it's not F...the online consensus says it is.

I'm sticking with whoever made this puzzle to begin with is saying its some ridiculous answer like... of course A is getting filled first, it doesn't fill up, but it is getting filled first.
When I first looked at it I thought F because that's the lowest point, but the OP said it wasn't so that got me thinking in another direction.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The OP said F is not the answer. The only way that F would fill first is if the L chamber was bigger than the F chamber. With more water volume in the L chamber there is more pressure at the tubes to force more water into the the F chamber. The chambers are open at the top so there is air pressure pushing down on the water. In order for F to fill you need more water in chamber L to counter the air pressure and push the water into chamber F.

I think I kind of understand where you're coming from... But at the same time I dont. If I were to use your reasoning than I would argue that chambers L and F would almost fill at the same rate slightly favoring chamber L. For example, in order for chamber F to fill up 1" you would need a little over 1 inch to remain in chamber L to provide the pressure needed to fill F. So I really don't understand how F would fill freely up until the bottom of chamber L then all of a sudden stop filling.

I'm about ready to run to home depot to get some pic to do a mock up of chambers L and F and get a real world answer. I would be intrigued if L actually did fill first and would gladly admit defeat, but with my current understanding of the world I live in, I don't see how it happens the way you say it does.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My thinking was F would continue filling but at a much slower rate than L and stop before reaching the top. No need for a mock up. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: