samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks how much Rock and sand is needed in the sump

I myself would use a DSB in the fuge, but looking at the way your wet/dry looks, I would be afraid of the sand since it might get into the pump, so I might just fill it up with small/med size rock or rumble or you try to add a piece of acrylic baffle so the sand doesn't get into your pump chamber.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I myself would use a DSB in the fuge, but looking at the way your wet/dry looks, I would be afraid of the sand since it might get into the pump, so I might just fill it up with small/med size rock or rumble or you try to add a piece of acrylic baffle so the sand doesn't get into your pump chamber.

Yeah I need something to replace that baffle next to the pump!
But I want a DSB as well but I'm the tank no the refuge or would the refuge be better ??

Here is what I did

Attachments

• IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 48

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do I prevent the bubbles?? I need something to stop the water coming into the sump to stop creating bubbles

Using a filter sock would help, bubbles to the fuge part wouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't pump up micro bubbles into the display, or place an piece of acrylic as an over baffle before the under baffle would stop the bubbles going to pump chamber.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Using a filter sock would help, bubbles to the fuge part wouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't pump up micro bubbles into the display, or place an piece of acrylic as an over baffle before the under baffle would stop the bubbles going to pump chamber.

Oh ok cool I don't really see any bubbles going to the pump but thanks! Ima make sure I get a sock filter or a new drain

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Take the sand out of there. Or at least put it in mesh bags.
I have a hose that will work. You can have it.
Put the hose into a filter sock, or put a pitcher or small bucket in sump with hose into it so bubbles float to top.
You need a skimmer and room for it.
Samster brings up a good point. You need to have a small hole at top of return line, just below tank's waterline that acts as a siphon break in case the pump craps out or power fails. Then you must keep water level in sump low enough so that when power goes out the amount of water that goes down into sump before the siphon is broken isn't more than the sump can hold. Otherwise, flood

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Take the sand out of there. Or at least put it in mesh bags.
I have a hose that will work. You can have it.
Put the hose into a filter sock, or put a pitcher or small bucket in sump with hose into it so bubbles float to top.
You need a skimmer and room for it.
Samster brings up a good point. You need to have a small hole at top of return line, just below tank's waterline that acts as a siphon break in case the pump craps out or power fails. Then you must keep water level in sump low enough so that when power goes out the amount of water that goes down into sump before the siphon is broken isn't more than the sump can hold. Otherwise, flood

^ yeah, I think I see black grains of sand in your pump chamber, you don't want that getting into the impeller.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What would happen

Without a siphon break, the drain will vacuum out all the water in your overflow until it is broken by air, the wet/dry if doesn't have enough space for back siphon or enough capacity for the water in display will cause a flood, and the sand getting into pump will cause damage to pump.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Without a siphon break, the drain will vacuum out all the water in your overflow until it is broken by air, the wet/dry if doesn't have enough space for back siphon or enough capacity for the water in display will cause a flood, and the sand getting into pump will cause damage to pump.

Understood so how would I get this away without stopping the whole system again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: