bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
It's been some years since I've been back, but umm this is my third tank. I have been cycling my tank since last Wednesday 9/20/2017. I
72 gallon bowfront
Details:
40 pounds of Caribsea live black sand argonite
6 pieces of Live Rock - I need much more!
Large shrimp buried in sand on day 4
One small dead freshwater Mickey Mouse blew molly/platy buried in sand
Bio brick that's not in the wet dry filter yet
1 gallon of Fritz zyme 9 - almost less than a quarter left I've been adding to the tank
1 whole bag of the instant ocean reef crystals 50pd bag in tank
Doublehead song joy waver maker
1 wet dry filter with bio balls for now

Ok so my concern is that my tank has been running for 6 days but I had the raw shrimp in the tank since day 1 and I buried it on day 4 along with a freshwater fish body that died in my daughters tank. I've been adding the live bacteria since day 1 by just pouring it in not measuring. The tank had yet to have the foul order that I've experienced before with the shrimp, but I believe the bacteria is working because the water is clear and doesnt stink. What do you think?

I don't have anything to test the water yet, I just want to let it sit for a month which would be 10/20 with attending to it! Should I???

I know I need a refractometer
And more live rock and I want 60 more pounds of black sand

I want to put the bio brick in the wet dry finger but I want rubble live rock as well to replace the bio balls

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 116

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Bio balls are a thing of the past. Too much nitrates. You could convert. Better off just making a sump out of an aquarium and pieces of glass so you can go bigger.
Hard to tell from pick. What brand wet/dry is that?

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I'm getting rid of the bio balls once I get more rock and I'm going to put a sock filter and the bit brick down there with some chaeto

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Updated- I removed the bio balls and replaced it with the Bio brick I had soaking in a bucket since day 1 w/bacteria.

I put some of the live black sand and all the smaller live rock pieces down in the bottom chamber under the bio brick. Everything is submerged.

Should I let the water drip on the bio brick???
I have a small power head in the same chamber as the bio brick.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 46

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Turn sump around. Take cover and drip plate off. Put drain hose directly into sump below water level, Or into sock
Putting the block in lowest flow area will offer you the most nitrate removal. Put it on bottom

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Why you say turn around ????
Why remove the drip plate and cover???
I have sand and live rock below so should I swap the brick on top of the sand and put rock on top in the middle chamber where the brick was!??

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why don't you place the block on pump chamber? Above that sock of media? Remove the cover plate and have the drain hose submerged underneath the water as the meat had said, and then place more sand, rock and some micro algae in that section with a light as a fuge?

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Why don't you place the block on pump chamber? Above that sock of media? Remove the cover plate and have the drain hose submerged underneath the water as the meat had said, and then place more sand, rock and some micro algae in that section with a light as a fuge?

Ok so I should put the brick where under the pump ???

And leave the other side where the water comes into the sump use that whole part as the refuge??

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you have enough space for water, when pump stops? Make sure you don't overflow with the filter so filled. In case of a power outage or something.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: