Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi,

Have a Red Sea 450 reefer which is rimless, no cover. Lost 3 fish in the last 3 weeks. 2 clowns and 1 angel......need to get a cover because will not dare to put in a fish of any value. Not sure if should go with a screen top or have a glass cover made.......

Any advice/suggestion

Thanks
Charley

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I have a diy cover i made to fit a bunch of oddities on my frag tank. used the regular corners for the screen, had to notch off a little piece of the plastic so it was able to fit into the screen opposite the usual way. Slight issue with tensioning the screen top without 4 rigid sides and corners, but if you're cool with leaving the screen a little looser it works fine. I'll try taking a pic for you.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Heres some pics of mine. With a rimless i think they have holders you would need to buy to have the lid sit on.

Attachments

• 20171022_191003.jpg
    20171022_191003.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 20171022_190957.jpg
    20171022_190957.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 20171022_190951.jpg
    20171022_190951.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 286

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks for the pics! Really annoys me that Red Sea cannot come up with screen tops knowing this is a common problem. Buy their tanks for the ease of use, quality, aesthetics and then have to make your own screen top to prevent fish from jumping out, some of which could be quite expensive. Very, very shortsighted of Red Sea ....... an easy fix too.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I have always had rimless tanks and have never had an issue. JUst go to Home depot and buy screen making kits and you can make your own top. They work great and are relatively cheap. I have looked into artfully acrylic though because I hear they do amazing work and the tops work great but they are pricey. I will go with one eventually but for now the DIY screen top is nice, easy and looks clean.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have always had rimless tanks and have never had an issue. JUst go to Home depot and buy screen making kits and you can make your own top. They work great and are relatively cheap. I have looked into artfully acrylic though because I hear they do amazing work and the tops work great but they are pricey. I will go with one eventually but for now the DIY screen top is nice, easy and looks clean.

Since its on a rimless tank how does it stay on top

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: