MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Agree that there doesn?t appear to be a reef safe option for ich. if you keep your tank fallow for 72- 76 days the full lifecycle would break even for some more resistant strains and your tank would be ?ich free?. It?s a parasite so it won?t just show up in every tank if there?s picking etc.

During the fallow period you?d have to separate your fish and treat with CP, Copper or some say tank transfers (never tried due to space). In my personal experience, I?ve lost way more fish to copper treatment than ich itself so I don?t pay attention to ich anymore. Fortunately, I haven?t had ich problems in a long time but more thanks to pure chance than quarantine and all other precautions many smarter people take. Ich can be 99% managed, although some fish may not be able to fight it...also after a while fish can develop immunity (up to 6mos) not thanks to garlic or vitamins but those probably can?t hurt. I feed a lot and make sure fish are fat and happy all the time and don?t worry about it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: